PDA

View Full Version : Installing gnome for Knoppix 6.2

exzhou
12-31-2009, 09:32 PM
I am new to both linux and unix. I just installed Gnome to the hard drive on a very old laptop. According to the documentation on this website, "To install Gnome, you have to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list except the unstable ones." This must happen before typing:
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome

Is there anyone who knows how to do the first step (commenting /etc/apt/sources.list)? I think I generally understand how the apt-get function works, but why do I need to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list?

krishna.murphy
02-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I am new to both linux and unix. I just installed Gnome to the hard drive on a very old laptop. According to the documentation on this website, "To install Gnome, you have to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list except the unstable ones." This must happen before typing:
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome

Is there anyone who knows how to do the first step (commenting /etc/apt/sources.list)? I think I generally understand how the apt-get function works, but why do I need to comment all the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list?

I'm pretty sure there's a cheatcode that will use the Gnome desktop, that's what you mean; try knoppic desktop=gnome and see what it does.

Krishna