PDA

View Full Version : Flash player and Installing Mozilla or Firefox!

alkemisten2
01-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi all!

Thank you for this great forum.
I've been trying to search on Internet for straight answers on my simple questions. I'm now running Knoppix 6.2 from bootable CD. I just want to view some flash like youtube, is there any place it is written how to do this step by step with a normal config as mine??

I do understand that Mozilla is included in the CD but I just cannot find the program manager /KDE or whatever it's called to actually installed programs such as Mozilla or Firefox from the CD. At the moment I'm running IceWeasel like the standard... and of course I've been searching for options how to make flash work with this browser...

I tried to download tar.gz from adobe.com and extracted into usr/lid/mozilla/plugins and usr/lid/iceweasel/plugins and restarted iceweasel totally and still nothing. I looked in Manager Add-ons and it only find the standard preinstalled Java runtime.

Sorry, I'm new to Knoppix but love it, kind of. :)
Dennis

iki
01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
If it's like version 6.0, then you open the root terminal (it's in the menu under 'system' or 'accesories'), do an

apt-get update
then

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

If you have Iceweasel already opened then you must close and open it again for flash to work.

m005k
01-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I am new to koppix and want to update the flash player so I can view Hulu. I tried, b ut get these errors. I coulod use some help. Also I am running .2 on a 4gig flash drive I install as live with untetbotin.

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

rusty
01-30-2010, 10:42 PM
You need to have root privileges . Try opening a Root Terminal from the Accessories menu and running the commands there.

krishna.murphy
01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
I am new to koppix and want to update the flash player so I can view Hulu. I tried, b ut get these errors. I coulod use some help. Also I am running .2 on a 4gig flash drive I install as live with untetbotin.

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

I opened LXTerminal (black icon down near the "Start button") and then:

sudo apt-get update

after much shilly-shalley'ing (connecting to sources on the web) I was then able to:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

which was followed by more automatic goodies, and flash was now available. :D

FYI, I had a lot of trouble trying to install Chrome (everybody should try it!), which I had the .deb for, and after much non-useful work using both synaptic and apt-get, it was easy:

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/MYPKG.deb

Hope this helps!

-Krishna

m005k
01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
You need to have root privileges . Try opening a Root Terminal from the Accessories menu and running the commands there.

I tried both terminal windows and got the same error. My flash drive is letter E, that I burned the live DVD image to. I think that is why I'm getting the errors. Do I have to mount E drive or something?

krishna.murphy
01-31-2010, 12:00 AM

I tried both terminal windows and got the same error. My flash drive is letter E, that I burned the live DVD image to. I think that is why I'm getting the errors. Do I have to mount E drive or something?

Take a look at the /etc/fstab - that'll tell you how to designate the flash drive.

Anymouse
04-01-2010, 03:52 AM
I tried to perform apt-get update and it nears completion, but then then my monitor turns off and my keyboard will not respond. Not even the caps lock light will turn on. I have to simply push the power button.

krishna.murphy
04-01-2010, 05:13 AM
I tried to perform apt-get update and it nears completion, but then then my monitor turns off and my keyboard will not respond. Not even the caps lock light will turn on. I have to simply push the power button.

I'm not sure what's happening, but it sounds like it COULD be a corrupt copy of Knoppix. One option, if you haven't gotten far in using the installed version you have been on, is to just erase the KNOPPIX folder and replace it - using a verified copy. I'd run the md5sum on the ISO image and see if it is a good download, or boot the CD/DVD and use the "verify" option before re-copying. Is there any chance that the hardware is bad, or is it working okay with another OS?

Anymouse
04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I ran knoppix testcd and it checked out fine. I have 256 MB of memory, and am running from the cd only. All I can think is that there isn't enough memory to handle the updates, but then how can I so easily run LXDE?

krishna.murphy
04-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I think the amount of data you get on sudo apt-get update using the pre-configured apt repositories is HUGE - and IMHO 256 MB is barely enough to get reasonable performance in the first place, though the flash storage is more critical for the update and install. One option is to simply get the .deb file (http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/i386/flashplugin-nonfree/download) and install it manually with either dpkg (command-line installer) or gdebi (GUI installer) started from the LXTerminal window.

Hope that helps!
Krishna ;)

Capricorny
04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't know where the idea of using apt-get update comes from. With Knoppix, you will often risk to make the system unusable running it, either because of package/library/etc incompatibilities, or because of overflow of persistent storage because all the updated material - which upon update is no longer compressed - plus package copies is stored there. So updating is best done on a package basis, when needed. In no case you can get along with just 256 MB, running any more extensive form of updating, you should really have the full 4GB available. With Knoppix 6.2.1, no updating has been necessary for me to install Flash, I have downloaded it from Adobe and used the dpkg -i command, with no problems at all.

Anymouse
04-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks, it worked! I checked out youtube and it played.