PDA

View Full Version : persistent file

itachisxeyes
01-05-2010, 02:51 AM
i haven't updated my knoppix in a while. i am basically out of the loop. and i can't seem to find the persistent knoppix image utility.
so in 6.2 how to you make one?

sbininit
01-06-2010, 01:11 PM
i haven't updated my knoppix in a while. i am basically out of the loop. and i can't seem to find the persistent knoppix image utility.
so in 6.2 how to you make one?

It doesn't offer you one anywhere until you install it from the live cd to a usb. When you boot the USB for the first time a blue bar appears under the question :
would you like to create a persistent disk now?
Type in 200 and hit enter quickly or oportunity will pass you by. 200 is the minimum, it can be more.

By default sys-linux is installed as the boot loader which boots the isolinux.cfg just like the Cd boots with the Knoppix splashscreen.

I like booting with grub so I just copyed the files over from the CD and intalled Super Grub to my USB and got the boot menu from the /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg. on the cd

title Knoppix 6.2
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en dma vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=0x311 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 tz=localtime
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
boot

It boots fine in my Del laptop with sys-linux or grub but not in the desktop. I don't know if its a BIOS thing or what??

itachisxeyes
01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
It doesn't offer you one anywhere until you install it from the live cd to a usb. When you boot the USB for the first time a blue bar appears under the question :
would you like to create a persistent disk now?
Type in 200 and hit enter quickly or oportunity will pass you by. 200 is the minimum, it can be more.

AH HA! i got so excited that i already booted off the usb install before i even considered that...well guess i'll just reinstall it XD
but thanks i would have passed this up every time...i'm always off to get some coffee or something when computers are bootiing up.

matollik
01-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Hello! I found a kind of solution for data persistence on some homepage and it seems to work at least on second startup of Knoppix on 1 Gb USB stick.
1. Have Knoppix boot option in Adriane mode. F2 for boot options.
2. How to continue a text menu with auditive advice is presented. Choose setup, option 12 or 13 I think. Thereafter the choices you make to customize
setup are obvious. At some stage it is possible to have setup install a persistent file on HD or memory stick. Formatting the file takes a few minutes.
3. It's possible to stay at Adiane or reboot and continue at usual Knoppix. I had the later mode, Knoppix GUI and made some changes e.g. the sound level was minimized. Now a day later these changes seem to have been left on. I'm optimistic to succeed with customizing the Knoppix os at a later stage too.(':lol:')

turbine
01-29-2010, 12:34 PM
When I boot with the command:

knoppix tohd=/dev/sda3

it eventually asks me if I want to create a persistent image. If I say no, then each time that I boot with the command:

knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda3

it asks me again if I want to create the image. When I eventually say yes and give it a size in megabytes, it creates the file knoppix-data.img in the KNOPPIX folder on the /dev/sda3 drive. From then on when I boot

knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda3

it automatically incorporates the persistent image. If I boot with

knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda3 noimage

then it doesn't use the image.

Jacqui
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi,

I'm still fairly new to Linux and am gearing up to make the leap from Windows. I'm really liking Knoppix so far and want to have my configuration/etc persist and wondered if I can only create the img file at bootup or if I can do it from within Knoppix. I've already made some changes to my environment that I would like to not have to redo. I'm booting up from LiveDVD.

Thanks for any help of suggestions you can offer.
Jacqui