PDA

View Full Version : Touchpad problem

matollik
01-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Knoppix 6.2 has been installed on a USB and it seems to work well. The only problem: toucnpad mouse fails to
activate programs, the menu and the like without use of touchpad buttons. At preferences I dont find no option to enable
touchpad. Is there a solution to this? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matti Ollikainen

pestie
01-14-2010, 04:44 AM
I'm having the exact same problem and I'd really appreciate a fix for this. I suspect it might have to do with the Synaptics driver in the kernel, so I'll try to do a little research and experimentation and see if I can work out a solution. If I find anything I'll post it here.

matollik
01-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Seems as though in xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 synaptic driver function is disabled by default. Only PS2, USB and serial mouse are enabled. I made some changes, with root privileges, in xorg.conf to have touchpad enabled with
sudo su vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After reboot the changes however were undone and now I cannot figure out how editing a configuration file can saved to be permanent.

01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't have this same experience - my synaptics touchpad works great, but I want to control the "mouse gestures" WHICH DRIVE MY WIFE NUTS! Anybody got a clue? I found a little discussion of it in the German language forums...

Krishna

Seems as though in xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 synaptic driver function is disabled by default. Only PS2, USB and serial mouse are enabled. I made some changes, with root privileges, in xorg.conf to have touchpad enabled with
sudo su vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After reboot the changes however were undone and now I cannot figure out how editing a configuration file can saved to be permanent. 0

matollik
01-31-2010, 09:26 AM
I found a solution for my touchpad from this page:
http://www.knoppixforum.de/knoppix-forum-deutsch/hardware/thread4290/tapping-funktion-knoppix-6-2.html.
The page is in German.
This is what I did:
1. change to root level with Alt-Ctrl-F1.
2.type 'init 3' <Enter>. The screen went dark but returned to text mode when repeating Alt-Ctrl-F1.
3.Previously I had copied 11-x11-synaptics.fdi to a file on desktop, identical with /home/knoppix/Desktop in File System.
4.Now in root level, I first copied 11-x11-synaptics.fdi to /etc/hal/fdi/policy. Then, as advised on the afore mentioned German page, I calcelled all
sections with the word 'Inputdevice' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and saved the file.
5.At command line typed '/etc/init.d/hal restart' <Enter>, then 'init 5' <Enter> to return to Knoppix graphical mode.
After one shutdown and restart of Knoppix, touchpad mouse functions ok.