PDA

View Full Version : Make command not found

nubi
01-08-2010, 09:41 AM
So I'm trying to install a modem with a script, no problem there, except for this "make command not found" issue. Knoppix is running in my HD, so I guess I missed something when installing it? I assume it should be there, but it's not :(

laptopdragon
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
try typing ;

man make

then enter, it is likely you are not "making" it in a proper area (or directory) with proper permissions.

nubi
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey! Thanks for your answer. I did that and it says that there's no manual for it. I know, it's weird.
About the permissions, I used the root terminal, shouldn't it work that way?

Anyway, thanks again.

laptopdragon
01-15-2010, 08:38 PM
lets try the test of make 1st (b,c your system may not actually have make, or you have no write permissions)

open a terminal
and type
"mak"
than tab.

i said "n" but did it again for "ma"

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/idanity/makecommand.jpg

if you want more fun with the tab function.
type in
"m"
than hit tab. you will be asked (do you want to see 246 entries, and if your curious type
"y"

the display is like below on my system (not in knoppix now, but mandriva, e16 )
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/idanity/makecommandfulllistoftabregion.jpg

this tells us all the commands given that begin with whatever you typed in 1st (in this cas "m, and ma, and mak"
you can also know that if only 1 option is availible for what you type, it will be automatically set for you
(like type in "firefo" hit enter and firefox will be completely typed in full, just hit enter and it works.

and, if you mispell to some word that doesnt have any associations, your system bell will beep at you . like when you hit backspace too many times and bump into the shell or null area.
with the make command, you must also specify what your making (and where its making it).

if your really bored.
open up a terminal and dont type anything, just hit tab twice, and then a Y .
you will get a ton of info. be sure to have history or list to be set as long as possible.

for more help with the terminal windows, type in
"fish"
and that may help you (if fish is installed) .

nubi
01-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Yep, it really isn't there, just a "make-ssl-cert" that obviously has nothing to do with this. About the write permissions, it's strange since knoppix never ever asked me anything while installing, not even a password for root (and I know this happened to other users). I used "su root" once, it didn't asked me for a pass, until the other day. I changed nothing, I swear! Nevermind, I'll try installing it again, maybe my cd .iso was f*cked from the beginning, who knows. I'll also try your Mandriva! And thanks for your help!

Squba
01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Couldn't this have to do with your user not having the PATH to the 'make' command? Try a find or search on the filesystem for make.

Once you find it you could do a
more ~/.profile to see if that file contain the directory where you found the command?

Capricorny
01-23-2010, 05:00 PM
If make is not there, you can install it, provided you have a persistent image.
If you think it is there, but not on your path, you can check the path set for you with
echo $PATH. [/code]