PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix won't boot - Completely new at this

Kansattica
01-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Hi. I've never done anything like this before (except using Boot Camp to dual boot windows on my Mac), and I'm having some problems. I'm running on my PC (nothing to do with the aforementioned Mac) and whenever I boot from the live CD, I get to the boot screen where it has the Knoppix logo, I enter the code:
knoppix lang=us after the boot: prompt. After that, I get a black screen with 2 penguin logos at the top, and under those it says (color accurate more or less):

Linux Kernel 2.6.31.6, 1998 MB RAM.
CPU 0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz @ 2128MHz, 4096 KB Cache
CPU 1: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz @ 2128MHz, 4096 KB Cache
Knoppix 6 found at: /dev/sr0
>>> Starting in Live-Mode. <<<
>>> Please do not remove medium until shutdown! <<<
INIT: version 2.86 booting

and then it just stops. I can only get rid of this by turning off my computer by pressing the power button. I've been waiting for 5+ minutes for this! Help!

OErjan
01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
two things spring to mind, both are common mistakes.
did you check the md5sum on the iso?
did you burn at lowest possible speed?
md5check is more or less a way to check that the iso is not damaged in transfer, and the slow burn improves chances of a good disk.
if you downloaded the torrent, ask the torrent program to check the file again.

Kansattica
01-09-2010, 04:37 PM
two things spring to mind, both are common mistakes.
did you check the md5sum on the iso?
did you burn at lowest possible speed?
md5check is more or less a way to check that the iso is not damaged in transfer, and the slow burn improves chances of a good disk.
if you downloaded the torrent, ask the torrent program to check the file again.

I don't know how to run the md5, I thought I didn't need to if I torrented it (and I uninstalled my torrent program, so I can't have that check it).
I DID burn at the lowest possible speed (Nero wouldn't let me go lower than 8x). I DO still have the ISO, both the MD5 and the SHA1, as well as the two .iso.md5 and iso.sha1
thanks!.

Kansattica
01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Oh! Wait! I tried it with another disk and it worked! The one I was using was bad. Thanks anyways!