PDA

View Full Version : Boot from HD

DavidTempler
06-07-2003, 11:07 AM
I have done a poorman' install (running CD from my HD) .I have read the FAQ's about booting with LILO.Is it possible to run Knoppix without bootfloppy and if so how ?(has anybody managed it?)
Being new to Linux I am little green as to setting up partitions can this be done using Knoppix?
I have only got a 2gb drive so at the moment so I am trying the poorman's install which does run a bit quicker than CD....
Is it possible to do a true install but use less than 2gb disc space?

Any help would be welcome as I do enjoy using Knoppix and wish to continue (just run a little faster!).....

Thanks Dave.T. :mrgreen:

man help?

Stephen
06-07-2003, 05:20 PM
It is possible. Use KnoppixKDE (http://ktown.kde.org/~dirk/knoppixkde/) and edit the knx-hdinstall and change the FSMIN (it is close to line 200 in the script) value to around 1400 and use the modified script to put the kde version on the harddrive. When installed KnoppixKDE uses about 1.3gb space so their will be enough room for a /swap on the drive too.

oscar
06-08-2003, 12:14 AM
knoppix without floppy: search (top-left) for loadlin
To make partitions run
sudo qtparted

DavidTempler
06-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi Oscar,
Will this work with my poorman's install and is this done under Linux or MS-Dros...?

Thanks Dave.T.

oscar
06-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi Oscar,
Will this work with my poorman's install and is this done under Linux or MS-Dros...?

Thanks Dave.T.

loadlin runs under DOS
sudo qtparted runs under linux (open a terminal console)