PDA

View Full Version : Borked MBR but think I know what problem is

yachp
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Silly me, I did a hard drive install before reading all the information about not installing to the hard drive. I suppose, if it is that problematic, there should be a warning if you choose that option. Anyway, the installation borked my MBR and now neither windows, nor my linux mint installation is there.

I think I know what the problem is though. In the menu.lst of grub it says

norootverify (hd,1,0)

and then it tells me the disk doesn't exist.

I think is should be (hd0,2) since the windows partiion is sda2

I, however, am stupid and cannot figure out how to edit the menu.lst file. I would need some really idiot proof instructions

Also this computer is an Acer Aspire One. I seem to have lost the ability to do an erecovery whiich was not an issue with using grub with linux Mint. That is on partition sda1. So if anyone knows how to get that accessible that would be appreciated.

Hope someone can help me with this

Peter

yachp
01-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Ooops I should have said the windows option is there. It just doesn\'t work. But a linux mint option isn't

Capricorny
01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Silly me, I did a hard drive install before reading all the information about not installing to the hard drive. I suppose, if it is that problematic, there should be a warning if you choose that option. Anyway, the installation borked my MBR and now neither windows, nor my linux mint installation is there.

I think I know what the problem is though. In the menu.lst of grub it says

norootverify (hd,1,0)

and then it tells me the disk doesn't exist.

I think is should be (hd0,2) since the windows partiion is sda2

I, however, am stupid and cannot figure out how to edit the menu.lst file. I would need some really idiot proof instructions

Also this computer is an Acer Aspire One. I seem to have lost the ability to do an erecovery whiich was not an issue with using grub with linux Mint. That is on partition sda1. So if anyone knows how to get that accessible that would be appreciated.

You must post more information if you want help.

Post the entire, precise, content of /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Post the entire, precise, content of /boot/grub/device.map - if it exists.

Also, post the output of fdisk -l.

In the old days, starting DOS from a diskette and issuing the fdisk /mbr command would normally get you Windows back, if no partition changes had occurred.