PDA

View Full Version : Unable to browse the Web with Live CDs

uncleelvis
01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
The information contained in the only other thread I started:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29229

... may or may not be relevant, but I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

Other relevant info:

Abit IX38QuadGT motherboard

Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Paradyne/Zhone 6381-A3 DSL modem/router combo
(DHCP is enabled)

Windows XP Home

I am thinking of eventually configuring a dual boot with Linux, but I want to play more with the live distros first. I am abale to surf the Web using Knoppix 5.1.1.

But I have problems with both Knoppix 6.0.1 (yes, I know that's not the most recent one) and Ubuntu 9.10 (that is the most recent one). It seems like I'm connected fine to the modem/router. And I am apparently connected to the Internet since I can ping various Web page URLs. But using a Web browser returns the "Unable to connect" message. And it's not a DNS issue since the same result occurs when I enter an IP address.

The newer CDs work on our network at work; Web browsing does occur with them. I'm guessing the issue is related to either my network card or router.

I could try the most recent Knoppix live CD, but since the latest Ubuntu CD is problematic, I have a hunch the latest Knoppix CD will have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Harry Kuhman
01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
...But using a Web browser returns the "Unable to connect" message. And it's not a DNS issue since the same result occurs when I enter an IP address.

The newer CDs work on our network at work; Web browsing does occur with them. I'm guessing the issue is related to either my network card or router....
Any ideas?
I suspect that you might be running up against an ipv4/ipv6 conflict. This has been discussed in these forums many times before. Using the forum search feature should get you more details.

uncleelvis
01-30-2010, 12:46 AM
You nailed it, Harry! The following fix worked for me:

type about:config in the address bar of Iceweasle

type ipv6 in the filter bar

right click ipv6 and toggle false to true

exit

Next, I'll have to see if Ubuntu and Firefox have a similar quick fix.

Thanks much!

Harry Kuhman
01-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks much!
You are very welcome. it is a pleasure to help someone who:
1. Has tried to help himself, and provides good details on what was done, so we don't have to ask for that information. And also provides basic information about his system.
2. Takes the time to give feedback even after his problem is resolved.
3. Can be pointed towards a fix without then expecting me to find and provide all of the links.
4. Is willing to consider the advice he asked for without dismissing it before trying it.