PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA Modem

moosedaddy
01-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Could somebody please help? I would like to install Knoppix on my harddrive, but I can not get my modem working. The laptop has a built in winmodem that will not work in linux, so I have a Xircom 10/100 + 56k cardbus. How can I point KPPP to that port? I have tried several things, but when I query the modem all I get is winmodem.

The Xircom card is supported by the Kernel.

Thanks
Jeff

sireasoning
01-21-2003, 08:02 AM
here is a way to find your modem:

open kppp and go to setup

goto the Device tab

You should see several choices, the first of which is called Modem Device: and the default is /dev/modem. If you click on the menu (that currently says /dev/modem) you will see a series of choices beside that. Choose one of the /dev/ttyS(#) series.

goto the Modem tab

click on Query Modem

this will let you know if your ttyS(#) choice worked. If so, then you have most likely found your modem.

It is possible that you may get a query from the winmodem, so if you get a query and then try to connect and fail, then go back and try another of the ttyS(#)'s and repeat the Query Modem.

zzyzx
01-24-2003, 02:53 AM
You might also have to make a dev ttyS4, thats where my computer put the Modem. Since KPPP only goes up to ttyS3, you will have to make a link to it ln -s ttyS4 modem. Also a chmod 666 777 might be necessary.