PDA

View Full Version : Dvorak Keyboard in 6.2 [SOLVED]

RonB
02-03-2010, 09:35 AM
My father uses Knoppix to fix his Windows computer -- or to use when his Window computer is down. He's been using an older version I sent him a couple years ago, but he has another Windows problem and I thought I would send him the newest Knoppix. Good grief, there have been a lot of changes since I last tried Knoppix -- it all seems to work great on this computer (Optiplex GX270, 2.8 Ghz CPU with 764 Meg of RAM) -- even the Compiz. Which surprised me, since I've just got the standard Intel graphics chip.

But I have a problem (of course -- sorry). My dad uses the Dvorak keyboard. The old Knoppix made it very easy to change to Dvorak -- the newer version, not quite as easy. (Heck, I haven't even been able to figure how to change the time yet.) Can someone point me to the application necessary to make this keyboard change?

Thanks. Knoppix is amazing. I'm going to experiment with it and see if I can get it on a flash drive.

RonB

klaus2008
02-15-2010, 08:56 AM
In the directory /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ you can see several keyboard layouts for dvorak. At the boot prompt you could try the cheatcode

knoppix keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak

RonB
02-16-2010, 10:49 PM
In the directory /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ you can see several keyboard layouts for dvorak. At the boot prompt you could try the cheatcode

knoppix keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak

Thanks, that looks like it does it -- getting the Dvorak keyboard anyhow -- but it seems to change the default language to German? (Does that make sense?)

klaus2008
02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
You probably downloaded the Knoppix CD with german as the default language. You can change the language by using the lang=us cheatcode.

knoppix lang=us keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
Alternatively you could download KNOPPIX_V6.2.1CD-2010-01-31-EN.iso with english as the default language. Then you only have to apply the cheatcodes mentioned earlier.

RonB
02-18-2010, 12:02 AM
You probably downloaded the Knoppix CD with german as the default language. You can change the language by using the lang=us cheatcode.

knoppix lang=us keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
Alternatively you could download KNOPPIX_V6.2.1CD-2010-01-31-EN.iso with english as the default language. Then you only have to apply the cheatcodes mentioned earlier.

No, I've got the English ISO -- it comes up with English when I don't use cheat codes. I may have just gone to the wrong Knoppix site somehow. I don't know how to get around with the Dvorak, I'm just testing this for my Dad.

At any rate, it'll work either way. Either my Dad will have to use the lang=us or he won't.

Thanks very much.