PDA

View Full Version : wireless config

thelawnet
02-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm running Knoppix 5.2 DVD version and trying to get wireless working. My card, which is Intell 5100AGN is detected fine, but I have not been able to connect to the gateway.

My AP settings are:

SSID hidden
wpa2-psk
AES

I have tried wlcardconfig, but the 'edit selection' button on Encryption does nothing.

I tried the network-admin applet on the Preferences menu, but it doesn't match the help file - the connections tab and location dropdown are missing.

I did some fiddling with wpa_supplicant but I'm not sure how to configure it. I am able to scan for available APs, but I'm not too sure how to connect.

chip.ling
02-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm running Knoppix 5.2 DVD version and trying to get wireless working. My card, which is Intell 5100AGN is detected fine, but I have not been able to connect to the gateway.

My AP settings are:

SSID hidden
wpa2-psk
AES

I have tried wlcardconfig, but the 'edit selection' button on Encryption does nothing.

I tried the network-admin applet on the Preferences menu, but it doesn't match the help file - the connections tab and location dropdown are missing.

I did some fiddling with wpa_supplicant but I'm not sure how to configure it. I am able to scan for available APs, but I'm not too sure how to connect.

I will suggest turn off the wpa2 first to perform a wireless connection test before going further. If it turns out successful, then continue testing with wpa2.

Please review Q11 on the following link to see if you can establish a wireless connection from your pc to the AP.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

If not, read through Q2,3,11,12,13 and try it out one by one.

Good luck

Rgds,
Chip

thelawnet
02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I found I had to stop network-manager as it would overwrite my changes

But then although I was able to connect, it was only briefly, before iwconfig went back to Access Point "Not Associated"

So I give up.

Capricorny
02-09-2010, 11:40 PM

But then although I was able to connect, it was only briefly, before iwconfig went back to Access Point "Not Associated"

So I give up.

Too bad. There may be some kind of auto-restarting going on there, I experienced something similar with 6.0.1.
Should be a way to turn that off, if that is the problem.

Tried with 6.X versions?

STLW
02-17-2010, 06:18 AM

So I give up.

Too bad. There may be some kind of auto-restarting going on there, I experienced something similar with 6.0.1.
Should be a way to turn that off, if that is the problem.

Tried with 6.X versions?

I have basically the same issue with 6.2.1 cd/dvd with the exception of my ESSID scrambled? when I issue the ifconfig -a command.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"p\xE9>\xA1A\xE1\xFCg>\x01~\x97\xEA\xDCk\x96\x8F8\*\xEC\xB0;\xFB2\xAF<T\xEC\x18\xDB\"

wlan0 authenticates, associates, then deauthenticates, reported via dmesg.

I too have WPA2(AES enc) on a Netgear router WPN824v3; wifi Zyxel G302v3. Both capable of WPA/WPA2.
My nic cards work with Knoppix.

With Wicd, it has told me I have a bad password .. lol. Tell that to the two windows boxes that connect and have wifi internet access. :roll: Seems it wants to connect through IPv6.

Still diggin' though.

chip.ling
02-17-2010, 06:28 AM

So I give up.

Before you gave up, can you provide what you have done in detail steps. Nobody can help you if you just say it is not working. We don't even know if your steps are correct or not.

Rgds,
Chip