PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.2 - how to preserve configuration in Live CD ?

jahstice
02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Hello everyone,

i'm having a problem with a non-USB bootable PC (in BIOS, it boots only from a floppy, CD/DVD and hard drive , of course).

When i boot the system from a Knoppix 6.2 live CD, everything is fine, yet i am not able to save the configuration (network parameters, printrer, keyboard etc.) to the USB stick, since there is no such option.

Also, for some reason the old "boot-time" myconfig=scan command is not included in version 6.2 , as far as i know (it did work nicely in 5.x.x).

Can someone please help me to resolve this issue, since i'm pretty stuck with this ...

Thanx,

JAHstice

Capricorny
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Tried forum search with 'Knoppix 6.2 cheat codes'? Probably not.
Setup the USB, insert it together with the CD, the pc will boot from the CD, at the boot prompt write

Knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1 <+more cheat codes if needed>

dahveed3
02-10-2010, 06:38 PM
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

That plop boot manager, the cd iso you burn to a cd and boot from works with non-usb booting bios's. It's even used by EasyBCD in their latest beta as an addition to Windows 7's BCD boot manager.

I used Knoppix's install Flash-Knoppix program to transfer Knoppix to my flash drive. Then I rebooted using the Windows 7 boot menu item installed by EasyBCD to start the plop boot manager and selected the usb boot item. At first boot Knoppix asked if I wanted to allocate space on the drive for persistence. I typed in slightly less than the max of 4 Gigs (its a FAT32 formatted USB flash, which most are) in MB, typing in just the numbers (like 3778). It prepared the persistent area and booted Knoppix. Everything I did was then preserved between bootups.

The same thing would work with the cd version of Plop. Just be sure NOT to use a USB hub. Plug the flash drive into a USB slot on the motherboard otherwise plop won't be able to boot up the system on the drive.