PDA

View Full Version : Cheatcodes and Knoppix Lang=..

sinsic
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Hello,
I`m new to Linux and tried to use it before but i guess i wasn't willing enough back then :)
So i`m trying to take things slow this time. I downloaded the dvd version and CD version of Knoppix 6.2.
I first installed the dvd version to my usb stick with unetbootin-windows-393 but it didn't work out so i installed the cd version without deleting the previous install. (i read that dvd has more packages installed in it, i thought this way they will remain usable. i don't know if it is true).

Anyways my first problem is changing the language of the os. I tried this way;

``Well, first you have to install your locales or reconfigure locales to use your language
(dpkg-reconfigure locales).

Then check that your language is included in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file.
If not, add your language. These sections begins like de), fi) etc.

Then add that same language 'cheat code' to your remastering file
/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg as lang=fi.
Notice that you use those same letters as configured in knoppix-autoconfig.
Add also your timezone to knoppix-autoconfig in that same section you have your locales.``

but when i write `dpkg-reconfigure locales` in the root terminal it says `/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: locales is not installed`
i checked the language at knoppix-autoconfig which was there. also write it to iisolinux.cfg as told. But nothing changed.

I would like to try the knoppix lang= .. cheat-code but the root screen on startup passes so fast. so what am i doing wrong? and any tips for a new linux user?

I`m really sorry if this is asked before, i read a couple of threads but couldn't resolve the problem on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Capricorny
02-09-2010, 11:57 PM
It seems you have gotten the USB stick to boot, but you don't seem to have set up a persistent disk image.
You need to do that, I think, to install necessary packages. I would use the CD, simply to have fewer potential packages conflicts when installing new packages.
I use the graphical synaptic version from the preferences menu. You can then install necessary packages, like locales. That package doesn't seem to be installed by default.

You can change the default language parameter on startup by editing /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
Just start typing 'knoppix' as soon as you see the boot prompt - then you will have time to complete the command line.

sinsic
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Capricorny,
after reading your post and several hours, i was able to change the language but couldnt change the keyboard layout :( if anyone else has problem about language goto `/mnt-system` and change the syslinux.cfg in that folder if `/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg` doesnt work for you either.

but i still cant change the keyboard layout. i read a few posts about `dpkg-reconfigure locales` and stuff. I always get stuck at `debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: ` error.
i want my keyboard layout to be latin5 or iso8859-9 (i dont know which one corresponds to layout and which one to charset). how can i configure this? is there a cheatcode for this too?

Capricorny
02-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Capricorny,
At first I tried to edit files and adapt a cd knoppix to my usb stick myself but i wasn't able to do that (no suprise there :P).
So i used "unetbootin-windows-393" program to do it. I dont know how can i check if it is persistent or not :/

Formating the USB Stick and reinstalling Knoppix from cd image is nothing but how can i install necessary packages after that?
As i sad, i'm new to Linux and double clicking doesnt seem to get things installed in Linux :D

and i already changed the parameters of "/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg", it didnt worked. Would it be because of the locales not being installed?

EDIT: Also i cant seem to right knoppix fast enough. Root passes so quickly that i can only write "knopp" at best :)

I wonder if you may be doing things too complicated, and not check some important, simple things.

First, with 6.2 there is no need for unetbootin or similar AFAIK. You start from a (preferably) verified CD, after normal boot (eventually give your keyboard cheatcode) you insert the USB stick. Then go to the main menu, submenu preferences, and choose "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk". You will be asked if you want to format the drive. The safest may be to answer yes to that. If this doesn't work, either you have a defect CD or USB/stick problems. As long as you stay with FAT32, this is a very robust technique. The whole system gets transferred to USB, and you can boot from that afterwards.

If booting proceeds after you have started typing at the boot prompt, something has surely gone wrong with 6.2.

At this first USB boot, you should be asked if you want to make a persistent disk image. If you aren't, something has gone wrong, and you should back up the steps and check. Say yes, and give a suitable size in MB (Max ca 4 GB on FAT32).

Next step for you should probably be to install the locales package. With synaptic package manager from the preferences submenu. I think most people will find their way with synaptic pretty well.

Then you can edit the syslinux.cfg file. It seems to me that lang=fi will be recognised - much of the processing of command line parameters happens in
/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. You can check the command line parameters by opening a terminal and typing

cat /proc/cmdline
at the prompt.

sinsic
02-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I did as you said and installed a clean copy from cd. Which was a good advice by the way :))
at least now i can see the root screen.

Anyways i wrote lang=tr and checked it with "cat /proc/cmdline" as you said.
Still, the menu and titles are Turkish but i wasnt able to change the keyboard layout. Or install "Locales", through synaptic package manager. When i try to install it gives the error "locales: Depends: glibc-2.7-1``. so i installed glibc, glibc-doc-reference, glibc-source. But it is still the same.

Anyway, what can you recommend so that i can change the keyboard layout?

Capricorny
02-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Still, the menu and titles are Turkish but i wasnt able to change the keyboard layout. Or install "Locales", through synaptic package manager. When i try to install it gives the error "locales: Depends: glibc-2.7-1``. so i installed glibc, glibc-doc-reference, glibc-source. But it is still the same.

Anyway, what can you recommend so that i can change the keyboard layout?

Checked out the Knoppix cheat codes? knoppix keyboard=<nation> xkeyboard=<nation>

I had no problem installing locales now. You should look at your repository setup, maybe there is something conflicting there. (I use ftp.no.debian.org - you should look for your closest mirror site.)