PDA

View Full Version : setting up local printer problems - greyed out

Chris2222
02-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm trying to setup a printer with knoppix live CD 5.1.1

First I got an error occured while retrieving the list of available backends ...

So I opened the root shell and typed cupsd - that got rid of my error and fixed that problem. But now I'm trying to add a printer and the add a local printer is greyed out. I've done a lot of google searching but can't seem to find a solution to the problem.

How can I get access to add a local printer? Can someone please walk me through.

woodsmoke
02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi
Could you please post the name, model etc. of the printer and whether it is IEE o USB or?

more information usually means more responses.

woodsmoke

Chris2222
02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
woops, okay the printer has a serial connected cable epson stylus color 400 printer. Don't think computer model matters, I tried it on my toshiba laptop and on an old P4 dell desktop.

Chris2222
02-16-2010, 01:05 AM
From the main menu I chose Knoppix->Configure->Configure printers to open the printer wizard then I clicked on add a printer.

Okay but the local printer (which is what I want) is greyed out. ??? I've done a lot of searching but cannot find anyone with the same issue. Could be the knoppix version I'm using but then everyone would be experiencing the same problem. Maybe I have to set it up as a TCP/IP port but I don't know what the address is at all. It's not really on a network anyway. It's hooked up to the docking station of my laptop. If the Local printer was not greyed out I'm sure it would be a breeze. I'm really at a loss here as to how to get my printer to work.

Any help?