PDA

View Full Version : Need to run sh script as root at startup (SOLVED)

mecho
02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I am running knoppix 6.2 on ibm thinkpad x40 which has a trackpoint and I found some commands which enable the sensitivity of the trackpoint and I placed them in sh script file but I have to run it with sudo and I dont know how to autoexecut it at startup so I dont have to enter it manually every time I start knoppix. Here are the commands in my trackpoint.sh file:

echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/press_to_select
echo -n 170 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/speed
echo -n 250 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/sensitivity

I just need to run trackpoint.sh as root at startup automatically. And I have one more question :) I am not able to change the window decoration bar on top of the windows. All that lxde appearance does is to change the scroll bars and menu colors. Thanks everyone for the help

Capricorny
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Have you tried either to append these commands to /etc/rc.local, or having that script call trackpoint.sh?
Looks like typical init stuff to me. Outside startup, I think it's just to prepend "sudo" to the commands in a script you want to execute with root privileges, at least it seems so to me.

As for decorations - LXDE is lightweight, but I think you have some choices. The first thing to check is to see what Compiz does - if you use that. Think the window headers all went away when I chose "no window decorations" in Compiz setup.. :)

mecho
02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I just tryed to append the commandsin rc.local as you advised me, but it did not work. Even to call the script has to be with root privileges and I dont know how to do it. I am newbiein linux- trying to learn. As for compiz I run knoppix with no3d option because compiz crashes constantly on my laptop for some reason, and I like it without compiz anyway.

mecho
02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Thank you so much for the great help :) I mistakenly appended the commands after the exit command in rc.loacal - I fixed it up and it worked now I have my trackpoint auto starting

THANK YOU Capricorny