PDA

View Full Version : update hd install with next version of knoppix?

ialtaparmakov
03-01-2010, 08:17 AM
hi
i installed knoppix 6.2 to my hd
and now i want to update to knoppix 6.2.1 with the knoppix 6.2.1 dvd.
is it possible and how to do this?
without losing data and installed other packages not included in knoppix ?

thanks

best regards

krishna.murphy
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
hi
i installed knoppix 6.2 to my hd
and now i want to update to knoppix 6.2.1 with the knoppix 6.2.1 dvd.
is it possible and how to do this?
without losing data and installed other packages not included in knoppix ?

thanks

best regards

How did you do the install? I used the "poor mans' install" procedure, e.g. knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 and I know that doing that again would almost certainly take care of the issue, perhaps even with the script install (not sure, but someone with experience will chime in, most likely.)

Krishna :D

Capricorny
03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
All your programs and user data reside within /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img. Make a backup of that file - you really should already have done it!
Then you can start 6.2.1, install it by whatever method, and then copy the image back afterwards.

ialtaparmakov
03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
How did you do the install? I used the "poor mans' install" procedure, e.g. knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 and I know that doing that again would almost certainly take care of the issue, perhaps even with the script install (not sure, but someone with experience will chime in, most likely.)

thanks for the reply

for the hd install i used the script from menu \ preferences \ KNOPPIX HD install

and i try to use this script from knoppix 6.2.1 for update purposes but it wanted to format the disk and delete my files

i was wonder if i use copying of files from dvd to hd , will this do the update or will destroy current installation ?
i am not shure that knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 will preserve my files

thanks best regards

krishna.murphy
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM

thanks for the reply

for the hd install i used the script from menu \ preferences \ KNOPPIX HD install

and i try to use this script from knoppix 6.2.1 for update purposes but it wanted to format the disk and delete my files

i was wonder if i use copying of files from dvd to hd , will this do the update or will destroy current installation ?
i am not shure that knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 will preserve my files

thanks best regards

The tohd cheatcode simply copies a few files (8-9?) to wherever you point it; I have a huge KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file (~3.8GB) that was copied from the DVD as one of those, so if you have that on your flash drive, then it would not be preserved. But other stuff, like your home directory, would not be replaced.

ialtaparmakov
03-02-2010, 10:36 PM
The tohd cheatcode simply copies a few files (8-9?) to wherever you point it; I have a huge KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file (~3.8GB) that was copied from the DVD as one of those, so if you have that on your flash drive, then it would not be preserved. But other stuff, like your home directory, would not be replaced.

i have knoppix installed as usual operating system not just copied files from dvd to hd
there is swap partition and data partition - reiserfs - about 9GB used. knoppix boots without dvd and grub is used as boot manager

and there is no knoppix-data.img on my hdd

perhaps the install script is different from knoppix tohd
and i noticed knoppix 6.2 have no option to make persistent swap file and persistent home directory on the hdd
and i noticed that knoppix 5.3.1 has much more programs , why 6.2 has less number of programs ?

thanks best regards

krishna.murphy
03-02-2010, 10:52 PM
*and there is no knoppix-data.img on my hdd
Okay, you don't have one there (yet).

*perhaps the install script is different from knoppix tohd
Most definitely it IS different.

*and i noticed knoppix 6.2 have no option to make persistent swap file and persistent home directory on the hdd
It comes up automatically when tohd/fromhd is used; hope someone else can jump in on this one.

*and i noticed that knoppix 5.3.1 has much more programs , why 6.2 has less number of programs ?
I think Klaus was focused on making it "lighter" for CD/Flash drive use, and trimmed some stuff - but things I missed (like K3B) were replaced (Brasero does the same stuff, only more.)

thanks best regards
:D

Capricorny
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
*and there is no knoppix-data.img on my hdd
Okay, you don't have one there (yet).

*perhaps the install script is different from knoppix tohd
Most definitely it IS different.

*and i noticed knoppix 6.2 have no option to make persistent swap file and persistent home directory on the hdd
It comes up automatically when tohd/fromhd is used; hope someone else can jump in on this one.

*and i noticed that knoppix 5.3.1 has much more programs , why 6.2 has less number of programs ?
I think Klaus was focused on making it "lighter" for CD/Flash drive use, and trimmed some stuff - but things I missed (like K3B) were replaced (Brasero does the same stuff, only more.)

thanks best regards
:D

I think the setup with ordinary HD install of Knoppix may be different. (For me, that's another reason to stay away from it) When personal data/programs are not in a image file, it's probably harder to do simple upgrades etc. But it should be possible - I just can't see any good reason to work that way.

ialtaparmakov
03-14-2010, 12:24 PM
(For me, that's another reason to stay away from it) When personal data/programs are not in a image file, it's probably harder to do simple upgrades etc. But it should be possible - I just can't see any good reason to work that way.

so by this you tel me : "For me, that's another reason to stay away from linux at all"

it seems that linux is so user unfriendly.... and community says that i have to stay away from hd install ...

Capricorny
03-14-2010, 01:18 PM
(For me, that's another reason to stay away from it) When personal data/programs are not in a image file, it's probably harder to do simple upgrades etc. But it should be possible - I just can't see any good reason to work that way.

so by this you tel me : "For me, that's another reason to stay away from linux at all"

it seems that linux is so user unfriendly.... and community says that i have to stay away from hd install ...
If you are not willing to use software the way it is intended to be used, but insist on stretching and bending the rules without the necessary insight to do it right, then lots of software will seem unfriendly, I think.
Either you learn the simple, stupid way to install Knoppix to HD, which most of us use, OR you use another diistro suited for your way of working OR you learn how to customize Knoppix your way properly. By the time you have learned halfway enough to get the third approach working, I guess you have started to agree with us.

ialtaparmakov
03-14-2010, 01:31 PM
If you are not willing to use software the way it is intended to be used, but insist on stretching and bending the rules without the necessary insight to do it right, then lots of software will seem unfriendly, I think.
Either you learn the simple, stupid way to install Knoppix to HD, which most of us use, OR you use another diistro suited for your way of working OR you learn how to customize Knoppix your way properly. By the time you have learned halfway enough to get the third approach working, I guess you have started to agree with us.

ok
thats why i asked the community
but
as with linx i got unexpected result - i got error message that i am to stupid tu use linux

thanks

you are very nice

Capricorny
03-14-2010, 01:40 PM

ok
thats why i asked the community
but
as with linx i got unexpected result - i got error message that i am to stupid tu use linux

thanks

you are very nice
At least you seem to be too stupid to understand what people try to say: We are NOT saying you are too stupid to use Linux, we urge you to use Knoppix the simple, stupid ways we others do it. We TRY to explain that what you try to do takes more skill and patience than most of us care to have.
If you think that's not nice to try to do, it's quite OK with me. But please don't project any unfriendlyness into this. It's for the benefit of all, not the least yourself.

ialtaparmakov
03-14-2010, 01:55 PM
At least you seem to be too stupid to understand what people try to say: We are NOT saying you are too stupid to use Linux, we urge you to use Knoppix the simple, stupid ways we others do it. We TRY to explain that what you try to do takes more skill and patience than most of us care to have.
If you think that's not nice to try to do, it's quite OK with me. But please don't project any unfriendlyness into this. It's for the benefit of all, not the least yourself.

thanks

you are very nice

Capricorny
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM

thanks

you are very nice
If I were employed by Microsoft to make Linux look bad and make people stay away from it, I would probably have done exactly what you are doing now: Taking one of the best and most generally useful pieces of Linux software ever produced, use it in a way it was not intended to work, with focus on an inherently problematic piece of software (OpenOffice), complaining about not being able to make it work your way, and then blame/fllame the people trying to help you out of the mess you have got yourself into.

I don't say that you are a troll, but I point out that you behave exactly like a professional troll might have done.

Clinton
03-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Either you learn the simple, stupid way to install Knoppix to HD, which most of us use...

A stupid way is different from a stupid person and as Capricorny included themselves in that group of people who use the "stupid way" I'm satisfied no insult was intended.

ialtaparmakov, we are all victims here - victims of a variety of software that doesn't always do exactly what we want it to do so we come to forums to discuss it. Let's stick to talking about the software.

ialtaparmakov
03-15-2010, 07:30 PM
i am sorry if i wrote something rough

i was angry because i was helpless.

thanks

best regards

Demopoly
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
All your programs and user data reside within /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img. Make a backup of that file - you really should already have done it!
Then you can start 6.2.1, install it by whatever method, and then copy the image back afterwards.

Can we update old threads once every year or two? Pruning?
My query is twofold: Is this backup information still correct?

ALSO: I installed 6.2 from a validated CD and upon updating to 6.2.1 encountered the libisc52 conflict which nobody anywhere has been able to resolve (that I've seen from 2 days of google searches.) Is it necessary to back up and reinstall with a fresh 6.2.1 CD to resolve this?
I can do that because I created a new partition on a half-empty drive to put 6.2 on in the first place.
THANKS.

And, PS, this is the only forum I've been on in the last year where the mods and regulars don't flame the noobs. SRSLY. Ubuntu forums are horrible for attacking and harassing people who ask simple questions. God forbid you ask the ubuntu staff for root! [cringes....]

THANK YOU FOR BEING CALM. [And, answering questions instead of attacking the questioner.] EADZ and others have responded nicely to me before, thus I'm joining permanently.

Don Lee
CEO Ungoth Inc. (Game development)
Broker, Coastal Keys Real Estate, Kirkland WA USA (day job!)

krishna.murphy
06-13-2010, 02:18 AM
AFAIK there is no advantage to 6.2.1; it may even be a downgrade, according to some posters here (6.2's what I use.) Nevertheless, you could most likely do what I think you're trying to do, except it sounds like you did a "full hd install." That is really only useful if you're going to re-master (make your own DVD) - otherwise, it simply leads to problems like you're describing, because Knoppix really isn't well-suited to running that way. Better to install Debian, if you want to go the hd-install way, seems to be the watch-word.

What specifically do you want to get out of the "upgrade?" It may be that you're better off with what you had. You may also want to look at how to use the "poor man's install" (using tohd or the flash-install program) and then fiddle with the boot arrangements, perhaps as Capricorny describes here. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28462-Fool-proof-multi-boot-PC-with-Knoppix-6.2.1-run-from-HD-as-deault-boot-option.)

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

p.s. Thanks for the kudos! I agree that the tone of this forum is outstanding - that's why I try to add what I can.

Capricorny
06-19-2010, 11:33 AM
AFAIK there is no advantage to 6.2.1; it may even be a downgrade, according to some posters here (6.2's what I use.) Nevertheless, you could most likely do what I think you're trying to do, except it sounds like you did a "full hd install." That is really only useful if you're going to re-master (make your own DVD) - otherwise, it simply leads to problems like you're describing, because Knoppix really isn't well-suited to running that way. Better to install Debian, if you want to go the hd-install way, seems to be the watch-word.

What specifically do you want to get out of the "upgrade?" It may be that you're better off with what you had. You may also want to look at how to use the "poor man's install" (using tohd or the flash-install program) and then fiddle with the boot arrangements, perhaps as Capricorny describes here. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28462-Fool-proof-multi-boot-PC-with-Knoppix-6.2.1-run-from-HD-as-deault-boot-option.)

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

p.s. Thanks for the kudos! I agree that the tone of this forum is outstanding - that's why I try to add what I can.

Counting bugs in 6.2 and 6.2.1, my personal result is that the 6.2 bugs are bigger and more serious, especially with some kernel stuff making installations and compilation difficult. Therefore, I tend to quite stubbornly advise people to use 6.2.1 or 6.3. The module conflicts between the two makes it hard to do any kind of mix and match. That's one of the great problems with attempts at ordinary installs with systems that are specifically not designed for it.

The knoppix-data.img thing is AFAIK only for running from sticks or "poor man's installs" - the only installs I think can be recommended. And you can do lots ot tweaking with your "installs" just by modifying that file, keeping different versions giving you "different installs" etc.

PeterLim
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Can we update old threads once every year or two? Pruning?
My query is twofold: Is this backup information still correct?

ALSO: I installed 6.2 from a validated CD and upon updating to 6.2.1 encountered the libisc52 conflict which nobody anywhere has been able to resolve (that I've seen from 2 days of google searches.) Is it necessary to back up and reinstall with a fresh 6.2.1 CD to resolve this?
I can do that because I created a new partition on a half-empty drive to put 6.2 on in the first place.
THANKS.

And, PS, this is the only forum I've been on in the last year where the mods and regulars don't flame the noobs. SRSLY. Ubuntu forums are horrible for attacking and harassing people who ask simple questions. God forbid you ask the ubuntu staff for root! [cringes....]

THANK YOU FOR BEING CALM. [And, answering questions instead of attacking the questioner.] EADZ and others have responded nicely to me before, thus I'm joining permanently.

Don Lee
CEO Ungoth Inc. (Game development)
Broker, Coastal Keys Real Estate, Kirkland WA USA (day job!)

Hi,

for anyone that have problem updating knoppix with libisc52 conflict, this is just a sharing how I get this resolve (after 2 days trial & error):-

remove the conflicting package libisc50 --> dpkg --remove libisc50
you may not success in case there are other dependency involved, as for my case libdns53, so I remove that as well --> dpkg --remove libdns53
now I repeat step 1, its done!!
now if you run "apt-get -f install" that involve libisc52 dependency, it should be ok now;

I noticed there is argumnet on friendliness on linux, frankly, its not as friendly as it does, but you will enjoy the satisfaction if your hack is work.

just be calm, as even I use linux for the past 10 years, I still encounter problem from time to time, but there is always workaround & kind people will help.

lets hope the linux is getting better & better :)