PDA

View Full Version : How can I enable CONFIG_TIMER_STATS ???

mecho
03-02-2010, 07:54 AM
I am running 6.2 - How can I enable CONFIG_TIMER_STATS in CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL ??? My config-2.6.31.6 is re-written at every boot. I need this option for use with Intel's powertop application

Thanks everyone

krishna.murphy
03-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I am running 6.2 - How can I enable CONFIG_TIMER_STATS in CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL ??? My config-2.6.31.6 is re-written at every boot. I need this option for use with Intel's powertop application

Thanks everyone

One option would be to do an install, perhaps to flash media, then make the change you need and run the utility to create a customized version back on CD (assuming you would then need that.)

Krishna

mecho
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I am running knoppix from a 4gb flash drive. Ny laptop has very noisy and slow hard drive and running knoppix from the flash drive is so perfect for me. It keeps all changes I make except this one and its so irritating when one tries to do something and it does not work :)) I want to know which script is responsible of creating the kernel config file and may be I can modify the script

Capricorny
03-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I haven't looked into this, just know that kernel headers were somewhat messed up in 2.6.31.6. You can also use grep, probably in /etc first, to search for scripts where such settings are modified.

mecho
03-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks alot Capricorny - I think you are the one who keeps this forum alive - I am reading all your post all the time. I wish to change to 6.2.1 but I have made so many settings to 6.2.0 that I am scared to start all over again and besides 6.2 works just fine for me except the fact that I can not compile any applications because of the headers. May be I should just try not to be so lazy and give the 6.2.1 a chance. I wrote you once about booting problem of 6.2.1 with xorg on my PC.
I managed to fix it by booting with knoppix -b option and configure xorg from there. Now all I have to do is to customize 6.2.1 the way I like it

Thanks again for your help

Capricorny
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, there are some posts here about recompiling the kernel with 6.2, which might help for you. I used it to compile the necessary vmware modules. As for your installs and tweaks, they will mostly be in /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img and in the sysconfig file. So, if you back up the necessary files and copy them back onto the 6.2.1 install, you might be set. But, I haven't tried it. This experiment you can do with a USB stick or USB harddisk, so you don't really have to risk anything.

mecho
03-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I will try this and will let you know if it works. I am not risking anything because I make image of my entire usb stick and store it on my hard drive under windows. Restoring it takes a minute