PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.3

Clinton
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Linux Magazine is claiming an exclusive (http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2010/113/KNOPPIX-6.3-EXCLUSIVE!-Mandriva-2010) on Knoppix version 6.3 and an interview (http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2010/113/ON-THE-DVD) with Klaus Knopper about this new version.

The latest version of Knoppix comes with new features, such as:
• Google Chrome – Google’s Firefox-based web browser (Figure 1) come with a new interface with improve uability and interoperability with popular web applications. Chrome Version 4.0.249.43 is installed and can be up dated via the Google repository.
• Adobe Acrobat Reader – Acrobat is one of the first and most feature-rich PDF readers. The installed version also works as a plugin for Firefox and Google Chrome.
• Adobe Flash – Flash is popular for browser-embedded multimedia players. The proprietary plugin was li-
censed for the version of Knoppix in-cluded here and cooperates with both Firefox/ Iceweasel and Google Chrome. For security reasons, Flash content on web pages has to be enabled in the NoScript security extension (the lower right button in the browser window) in Firefox/ Iceweasel.
• ADRIANE Add-ons – A new network configuration tool has been added to the ADRIANE user interface for users with sight impairments. An additional tool, adriane‑ht, allows users to up-load scanned texts to specific Braille displays. The screen reader now has ALSA support to enable voice output while playing music.

krishna.murphy
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Ho-hum. Certainly this will excite some, but I've already got chrome 5.0.307.11 beta (had to go to bleeding edge for some extension, and it's okay so far), installed Flash (still need to replace it with something that won't crash the system), would rather use Xpdf anyway, and frankly find Adriane irritating if it accidentally boots off the CD without my command line (didn't know what I was downloading at first.) So, I'll have to wait for some other news to get excited. At least it's not exciting like Windows! A new vulnerability is announced so often I barely notice a lot of them. THANK YOU to Klaus Knopper and all the developers and maintainers for making things better for those willing to invest a small effort in trying something different.

Krishna

outanet
03-08-2010, 02:33 AM
my copy came thrugh the post today, and having time on my hands, i tried it. I must admit i was a heavy knoppix geek till >3.4 when I changed tracks to DSL, but recently ive been wandering, work makes me use Centos and ive tried playing with *buntu and ended up using a turnkey vm lamp appliance on a centos server for mail and local storage which I had updated and run vnc on leaving me completely ..... well, up in the air. the wife just wants access to ebay & utube so leaving the knoppix6.3 disk in the 'puter, she is happy and I can go walk the dogs.

ruymbeke
03-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Hello,
For those of us who are not in Germany, where can we get a copy of the Knoppix 6.3 ISO ?
That would help to make my ISO boot working with the latest release...
Thanks,
Gilles

outanet
03-09-2010, 08:16 AM
clue at the top of the page, Linux Mag Exclusive! check your news stand.
I don't understand the Germany reference!

klaus2008
03-09-2010, 08:44 PM
There are two "Linux Mag" with an exclusive Knoppix 6.3 DVD. One is called "Linux Magazin" and is written in german language. It's DVD uses german as the default language. The other one is called "Linux Magazine".

ruymbeke
03-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Hello,
Since I couldn't get my hands on the Knoppix 6.3 DVD yet, can someone
describe what are the the differences between Knoppix 6.2.1 and 6.3 ?
Besides the background picture and...
I am interested in the kernel version and initrd file...
Thanks,
Gilles

krishna.murphy
03-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Hello,
Since I couldn't get my hands on the Knoppix 6.3 DVD yet, can someone
describe what are the the differences between Knoppix 6.2.1 and 6.3 ?
Besides the background picture and...
I am interested in the kernel version and initrd file...
Thanks,
Gilles

There's a thread about in the "News" Forum.

ruymbeke
03-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Isn't this precisely the "News" thread about Knoppix 6.3 ?
If there is an other one could you please provide a link to it ?
Thanks,
Gilles

krishna.murphy
03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Isn't this precisely the "News" thread about Knoppix 6.3 ?
If there is an other one could you please provide a link to it ?
Thanks,
Gilles

Right you are. Sorry about that. Kernel and initrd should be much the same as 6.2.1, as there're no major changes under the hood, just some more apps and such.

Cheers! :D
Krishna

Clinton
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
krishna may have been referring to this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30553).

ICPUG
03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I've got 6.3 from Linux Magazine and it did not work on my laptop with Rymbeke's 6.2 version of minirt.gz.

There again the Live CD didn't work either - but the error were different. I'm a bit concerned since this is the first Knoppix that has not worked on my laptop. I will have to check the checksums (if they are on the DVD).

Rymbeke

Would it help you if I posted the initrd.gz somewhere for you to download?

ruymbeke
03-23-2010, 03:26 AM
[/quote]... Rymbeke, Would it help you if I posted the initrd.gz somewhere for you to download?[/quote]
Yes so I can figure out if / what are the changes in the init boot script. (can you also add the kernel)
Thanks to offer your help,
Gilles

ICPUG
03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Ruymbeke,

I have posted the requested files here:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/ruymbeke/index.htm

Please let me know when you have got them as I want to remove them as soon as possible.

I did a check of the checksums on the DVD against all the files on the DVD and they matched ok. This means that this version does not seem to work with my laptop. I suspect the intel 810 chipset of my laptop is not covered by the intel driver now used by Knoppix. I have a similar problem with the experimental version of Puppy (called Quirky). If this is the reason that Knoppix 6.3 does not work then I am somewhat annoyed it is not backward compatible with a common chipset, albeit quite old now.

ruymbeke
03-24-2010, 06:34 AM
...I have posted the requested files here: ...
Hi ICPUG,
Got it, you can now remove the files. Thank you very much !
It looks like that the 6.3 kernel is exactly the same as for 6.2.1
so my guess is that the kernel modules should be the same as well.
The init boot script is almost identical, just a couple of minor cosmetic changes.

So my recompiled kernel + initrd for large memory footprint (>4GB) may just work "as is", cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122822#122822
(also allow for iso boot from ntfs, network via nfs or samba + vmware tools patch)
Best Regards,
Gilles

ICPUG
03-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks Ruymbeke

That's good news. All I have got to do is find a Windows machine with 4GB spare NTFS disk space that will work with 6.3 to confirm your findings.

(Files removed now)

ruymbeke
04-01-2010, 06:08 AM
...All I have got to do is find a Windows machine with 4GB spare NTFS disk space that will work with 6.3 to confirm your findings...
Hello,
I finally got my hands on one of the Linux Magazine Pro and got the Knoppix 6.3 DVD,
and confirm that both my init ramdisk (c2_minirt_621a.gz and minirt_621c.gz)
initially created for Knoppix 6.2.1 are also working just fine with Knoppix 6.3.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122674#122674
Best Regards,
Gilles

carolus
04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
It would be nice to see a package list for the 6.3 DVD. I'm particularly interested in whether gfortran has been added, since it was missing from 6.2.

klaus2008
04-04-2010, 12:11 PM
The package list was created with the command
COLUMNS=200 dpkg-query -l > knx630-packages-list.txtand packed with zip afterwards.

eco2geek
04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm particularly interested in whether gfortran has been added, since it was missing from 6.2.
The short answer is, "libgfortran3" is installed but gfortran isn't.

carolus
04-06-2010, 05:19 AM
The short answer is, "libgfortran3" is installed but gfortran isn't.

Seeing that maxima is still present, and scilab has been added, the scientific user is still supported. I suppose the missing gfortran is an oversight, or has not yet bubbled to the top of the priority list.

ruymbeke
04-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Hello, The mount --bind command allows to remap a tree somewhere else. For some reasons with Knoppix 6.3 (and maybe some other versions of Knoppix) the mount --bind is not working for the data (folders and files) within the root "/" directory (data part of the init ram disk). It works fine for everything else. These examples just fail with the following error: (assuming /toto exists) mount --bind /mnt /toto" mount --bind /static /toto" mount --bind /modules /toto" mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /mnt, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or s but these are working just fine: mount --bind /ramdisk/var /toto" (/ramdisk is a ram disk file system) mount --bind /etc /toto (/etc is a link to the union file system folder /UNIONFS/etc) Any idea ? Thanks, Gilles

vhradice
05-02-2010, 02:29 AM
So where do I get a copy of 6.3? Do I have to find the magazine and buy it? I have tried searching the net and the only places that seem to have it avalable to download want me to sign up and pay for it. When will this site (an official Knopix site I believe) have it available?

ICPUG
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
The special editions created for Linux Tag are usually not available at all. This year was a bit different in being available in a magazine as well. This means unless you can find someone to host it then getting the magazine is the only option.
Usually Klaus releases a general version on the main Knoppix servers at some point later.
However, as has always been the way with Klaus, the general version will be ready when it is ready - so don't bother asking!

livix
05-12-2010, 02:58 PM
ive got knoppix6.3 installed just wondering if there is a 64 bit verison yet

krishna.murphy
05-12-2010, 08:38 PM
ive got knoppix6.3 installed just wondering if there is a 64 bit verison yet

Are you sure you got 6.3? AFAIK it's only available on disk with a magazine; where did you get it? I have not seen official releases with "64 bit" designation, either, but someone on the forum mentioned getting something like that - poke around (search the site with Google, I mean) and see what's there.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

livix
05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
file:///home/knoppix/Desktop/Screenshot.pngyeah im sure i got it from linux magazine