PDA

View Full Version : Default KNOPPIX Download - No Network Support

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Hello,

I have downloaded the KNOPPIX default english ISO and I am not able to get access to the internet. I downloaded it a while back it says its release 3.1 from 06-08-2002.

I receive an error message from the browser that says:
"An error occured while loading http://www.knoppix.com
Unknown host knoppix.com"

I have tested it on several computers that have 3COM, SMC, DEC, Digital and Intel NICs .... none seem to work.

DOESN'T KNOPPIX AUTO DETECT AND SETUP THE NETWORK CARD FOR NETWORK AND INTERNET ACCESS?

I would like to add the Sun Java 1.4 Support to the CD so that I can run an application that requires it. Can I burn KNOPPIX, JAVA, and the application all onto one CD without any problems?

Thanks in advance!

pmilligan
06-08-2003, 12:56 AM
I'm a newbie to Knoppix (but not to GNU/Linux) and only have used Knoppix 3.2, but I think you have made an incorrect assumption. From my limited experience, Knoppix does not boot with the network enabled.

If you will go into the Knoppix menu, there is a configure of an internet item that will present you with a dialogue for setting up the network. You can opt for DHCP if that is running on your network, or you can manually set the host IP address, name server, and gateway.

There was no need to specify the NIC driver, so the autodectect must have taken care of that much.

I'm not near a system I can just reboot to run Knoppix and give you the exact line of menu selections. You might check the FAQ's and see if it is already listed there.

I hope this is enough to get you on the Internet

Pat

PS, you may want to save your configuration to be able to restore your network configuration the next time you boot Knoppix.

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-08-2003, 01:31 AM
I can't find anything :(

ps. i'm a newbie too.

pmilligan
06-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Check the fourth question in
FaqNetwork (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork)

"For v3.2, K-menu > KNOPPIX > Network/Internet > Network card configuration -- same as "sudo netcardconfig" command." You'll need to open a shell window to do the latter. Try "K-menu > Run Command" and then type in the sudo command (without the quotes).

If you can't find either the menu selection or the command, I don't know what would work for Knoppix 3.1. You could download 3.2 and give it a try. A new version was released just yesterday, and I am downloading a copy right now.

If this doesn't help, please give some specifics on your situation, like:
<ul>
How experienced are you in doing a systems network configuration.
What if anything you type at the initial boot: prompt?
What network card is in the system?
Does the driver for the network card show in an 'lsmod'?
Does the LAN use DHCP or static IP addressing?
[/list]

stevethayne
06-08-2003, 03:24 AM
Knoppix does, or should, automatically give you an internet connection. But lots of people have been having problems connecting, despite initially connecting fine through knoppix - see other threads

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-08-2003, 03:24 AM
I will try that...but before I do one quick question.

I need Sun Java on the CD too...
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

Which one should I download?
Linux RPM in self-extracting file
Linux self-extracting file

I will try the network thing once the download is done.

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-08-2003, 03:35 AM
I have the following setup.

I have a TCP/IP Network, with Windows 2000 as a DHCP running ICS to share the internet. All internal IPs are 192.168.0.x

I have a norton firewall on, but permitting all internal IPs with 192.186.0.x

I have several NICs on all different systems. I would like to use KNOPPIX on all systems....for general usage.

The cards are:
3COM, SMC, DEC, Digital and Intel

If you want specs I can tell you only 6 NICs at the moment.
Megahertz CCXJ10BT Ethernet Adapter
Sis 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Intel PRO/1000MT
Intel PRO/1000B (TX)
Intel 21041 Based PCI Ethernet Adapter
3COM EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI NIC (3C905-TX)

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-08-2003, 04:10 AM
Hello,

what version of seti do i download?
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html

I have downloaded the updated KNOPPIX and before burning it I can view the contents of the CD. Can I remove anything from the ISO to make it smaller before I burn it?

Thanks.

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-08-2003, 04:58 AM
I would like to burn KNOPPIX (new one), SETI and the Java files on the CD but I am still waiting for someone to tell me which one to download.

Harry Kuhman
06-08-2003, 05:00 AM
I'm a newbie to Knoppix (but not to GNU/Linux) and only have used Knoppix 3.2, but I think you have made an incorrect assumption. From my limited experience, Knoppix does not boot with the network enabled.
No, Knoppix 3.1 starts up with the network connected just fine. If iyou are on a local network and can get a DHCP connection it will work just fine.

Some routers, like the Linksys, work just fine with Knoppix. I've seen problems with some others and the DHCP fails. I don't yet know why it fails,
but something is obviously different enough to be an isssue.

I would suggest the following:
Start up Knoppix. If you can't get a connection, try running Ntecardconfig (from the menu or a shell) and see if yoy can get a DHCP configuration. If not, try running netcardconfig again and manually setting the values (You will need to know tour sub-net values for this, an available IP address, your default gateway (the ip address of the router) , the proper network mask, and at least one available DNS server's IP address. Try to see if you are connected now (I expect you will be). If you can figure out why some DHCP servers seem to work with Knoppix and others do not, please let us know.

If one still can't connect (and all of the above has been double checked), they might have the problems we've been discussing in other threads., but I doubt it based on your seeing the problem with several NICs.

Stephen
06-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Hello,

what version of seti do i download?
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html

i686-pc-linux-gnu: 3.08

I have downloaded the updated KNOPPIX and before burning it I can view the contents of the CD. Can I remove anything from the ISO to make it smaller before I burn it?

Thanks.
You can re-master (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto) the CD to remove software. In the posts above the java you want is included and you should be able to boot from the CD and connect via dhcp that is already running on your gateway machine.

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-08-2003, 06:07 AM
When I run netcardconfig i get a window called Usage for Xdialog.
It looks like a man page for Xdialog with switch options.
Does this not look related to networking.

Stephen, the seti that I want to run will be on systems that are 486 - PIIIs and P4s. Does it matter that it says i686?

Stephen
06-08-2003, 07:19 AM
When I run netcardconfig i get a window called Usage for Xdialog.
It looks like a man page for Xdialog with switch options.
Does this not look related to networking.

Stephen, the seti that I want to run will be on systems that are 486 - PIIIs and P4s. Does it matter that it says i686?

That's an error in the netcard script it brings up the dialog to pretty much tell you that you have screwed up. I don't know if it will work on a 486 but I have it running on an old Cyrix 200 that I also have so it will run on a pentium.

To configure your network the settings are in /etc/network/interfaces and the nameservers are in /etc/resolv.conf examples:

/etc/network/interfaces

static

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

dhcp

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

/etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34

Edit the files to something similar for your setup and /etc/init.d/networking restart as root in a console window will re-start the network with the new settings

LinuxDistros.CJB.NET
06-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Ok, I burnt the new version of KNOPPIX and it works on ....so far one system.

Sis 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (check) :)
Intel PRO/1000MT (check) :)

Another system .... simply dies before it fully loads, the entire system locksup. Its a Dual P3-950 with 512 MB RAM

It gets to the boot:
loads .... 2 or 3 things.....shows TUX....then just sits there.....been waiting for 10 mins.

The same CD I tested on 2 other systemsand it works without a problem.

tyiooo
06-09-2003, 11:56 AM
My problem is weird : I got DHCP running ok, I can get connected to certain websites only, most of the web adress typed in the browser do not display anything (time out) although others load fast... I'm sure it's a knoppix problem.

config: Toshiba laptop on knoppix 3.2 connected on internet through internet connection sharing on a windows XP box.

Any help appreciated

Harry Kuhman
06-09-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm sure it's a knoppix problem.

config: Toshiba laptop on knoppix 3.2 connected on internet through internet connection sharing on a windows XP box.

Suggested experiment:

Bypass the XP "connection sharing" box and get the Knoppix system connected directly to the internet device (I expect it's a cable or DSL modem). Do you still see the problem?

fhayashi
06-10-2003, 04:31 AM
I can't seem to get network connection under Knoppix, though I've read this thread.

Under WinXP, I'm connected just fine through a Linksys Router to a cable modem.

Using Linksys Router's setup (http-based), I can get the IP address WinXP uses, the network mask, default gateway, etc. There's IP address for LAN and WAN, and I'm not sure which to use...

But anyhow, I get into Knoppix, and run netcardconfig. It asks me:

> use DHCP broadcast?

since yes doesn't work, I try no,

> IP address for eth0

I type in what I think win XP uses - 192.168.1.100

> network mask for eth0

> broadcast address for eth0

I tried a few things, including what the router calls "DHCP server address", 192.168.1.1

> default gateway

I tried what the router says is the default gateway under the WAN settings

> name server(s)

It defaults to the two that the router is using

then it gives me

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.1 up

(pause)

> route add default gw (default gateway IP address here)

followed quickly by:

> SIOCADDRT:Network is unreacheable
> auto lo eth0

followed by the nameserver stuff.

Obviously, the SIOCADDRT business, whatever that is, is my problem...

Any suggestions?

Harry Kuhman
06-10-2003, 05:28 AM
I can't seem to get network connection under Knoppix, though I've read this thread.......

You're getting some of the settings wrong. From what you post your router is at 192.168.1.1. If that's the case then your broadcast address should be 192.168.1.255 and your default gateway should be 192.168.1.1. I'm not sure which computer is assigned 192.168.1.100; if it's the same one that you are booting Knoppix on that should be fine, but just to be sure try a different address that isn't as likely to be given out any where, for example 192.168.1.88.

If that still doesn't work, check the two threads I've posted http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117
and http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164 and then try rebooting, doing a sudo mii-tool -r from a shell, and the doing a netcardconfig and seeing if you can get a DHCP configuration then (and if not, no harm in trying to do it manually again).

And if anyone wants to tell me how to post a URL here, it would be appreciated. I've seen others so it, but when I use the URL button in the editor it just seems to bracket the address I give with bracketed url commands that end up displayed.

Stephen
06-10-2003, 06:31 AM
And if anyone wants to tell me how to post a URL here, it would be appreciated. I've seen others so it, but when I use the URL button in the editor it just seems to bracket the address I give with bracketed url commands that end up displayed.
Just enter when your typing[ url=http://www.website.com]description[/url] remove the space before the url= and it becomes description (http://www.website.com) I usually just type the url parts and cut and paste the actual http address it's quicker.

fhayashi
06-10-2003, 12:37 PM
You're getting some of the settings wrong. From what you post your router is at 192.168.1.1. If that's the case then your broadcast address should be 192.168.1.255 and your default gateway should be 192.168.1.1. I'm not sure which computer is assigned 192.168.1.100; if it's the same one that you are booting Knoppix on that should be fine, but just to be sure try a different address that isn't as likely to be given out any where, for example 192.168.1.88.

Thanks, that did it!