PDA

View Full Version : boot problem

sonsrey
03-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Long story short I went away for a weekend, left my desktop for my roommate to use (i have the only printer, finals are next week) when I got back I found out he downloaded god knows what, got some sort of virus and through his attempts to remove it, my computer would freeze before it could even finish booting.

I have had success with using f-secure.com before so I made a knoppix recovery disk to remove the virus from my desktop. It worked without a hitch, or so I thought.

Now whenever I try to boot windows, after the boot screen my monitor just turns completely black. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on because I can boot Knoppix fine off my cd drive, I just can't boot windows.

The monitor is a LG Flatron W2353V
video card is EVGA Geforce 7800 GS

Clinton
03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a Windoze problem, not a Knoppix problem, sonsrey ;)

Have you tried Windoze repair/reinstallation?

Capricorny
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Sonsrey, maybe this is the time for you to start running Windoze in a virtual machine under Knoppix? Works very well for me, and the virus infestation problem reduces to just copying in the backup of the virtual machine..

Harry Kuhman
03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
..... had success with using f-secure.com before so I made a knoppix recovery disk to remove the virus...
I strongly caution against writing to a NTFS partition with Knoppix. You have access to any important data that you don't have backed up now (although, if it was really important you would have it backed up, right?), but may not after writing to NTFS with Knoppix. Also be aware that not all NTFS corruption manifests itself immediately; you could think that you "fixed" things and had the system working again, but some pointers could be mucked up but not obvious, and the disk could start showing problems days or weeks later. I would never trust a NTFS partition that had been written to with Knoppix until it had been completely recreated and reformatted. It might work, but I've seen too many reports of disaster here to trust it.