PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix 5.3.1 on Raid 0 Drive

kari0ca
03-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi, i'm kind noob on llinux installing, i did install two or tree times on my old pc, but now i have my hd on raid 0 (raid by hardware made by motherboard).

I'm asking if it's possible (or if isnt simple) to install on raid 0.
I've read on other foruns that ubuntu or kubuntu has a few tricks to install it on raid...

thanx.

Harry Kuhman
03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
...(raid by hardware made by motherboard)......
I think that you are going to find that your mb based RAID isn't true hardware raid, but rather is very dependent on special Windows software drivers that are really doing the RAID function. As such, that RAID array can only be read and written by Windows. There also tends to be little performance benefit from such arrays, and they greatly complicate any data recovery when there is a failure (and either drive failing can now cost the data on both drives). Have good backups!

kari0ca
03-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Harry, thanx for your response, but i think that knoppix could read the information on my hard drive, i started with the dvd and it showed my data, i didn't tried to read nothing, but the content of my hard drive appeared.

Getting back to my question, to solve my problem. I have to rebuild my raid (via software) or can i install knoppix on my system?

Harry Kuhman
03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Be very careful in checking if Knoppix is really seeing the content of the hard drive. It could well see directories, but not be able to find the actual data when that data spans across to a second or third drive. If you do have true hardware raid it would be the first time that I ever heard of it included on a motherboard.

As to installing Knoppix, my best advice is don't. Knoppix is really intended as a Live CD or DVD, and things go wrong when it is "installed" (and even more so when additional software is then installed). Particularly for someone who describes himself as a Linux novice, I think that you would be much better off installing Debian or some other distro that is intended for installing to hard disk rather than Knoppix. I would suggest doing a net-install of Debian"unstable" or "testing". I know of absolutely no software that comes with Knoppix that you can't simply install in Debian with a simple apt-get, so I see no reason to fight with known Knoppix issues when a Debian install is straight-forward.