PDA

View Full Version : gnomemeeting cannot startup in 2003-05-20-en

nicklaser
06-07-2003, 11:59 PM
I've tried many machines, it cannot startup with a err message said: "gnomemeeting cannot start without a soundcard ..." or something like, however, I can enjoy the music with xmms or xine.

natbudin
06-18-2003, 02:41 PM
I've noticed the same problem. Happens both when running off CD normally, and also in VMware. The 06-06-2003 release does not fix it. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

(BTW, I can run GnomeMeeting fine under plain Debian GNU/Linux)

pau1knopp
06-30-2003, 07:19 PM
I would also like to be able to run GnomeMeeting from the live CD distribution. I am receiving the same error as the other user. Does anyone know if there are any switches you can throw at GnomeMeeting to make it use a particular device? I would like it to use /dev/phone (my Quicknet Linuxjack card) for sound, but I can't get past the original error to start tweaking the configuration. The LinuxJack module is loaded properly when I run a lsmod | grep ixj

Thanks in advance,

~paul

pau1knopp
07-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Okay, here's the solution. If you start knoppix with the "knoppix alsa" parameter, it will load the sound modules the GnomeMeeting is looking for. GnomeMeeting can now start without errors and log into ils.seconix.com...

Regards,

~paul

locutus
04-02-2004, 03:25 AM
on my i810 MoBo, ALSA doesn't load so this won't work, BUT, my Knoppix/Debian v3.0( 2.4.21 kernel ) desktop runs the lastest GnomeMeeting without ALSA just fine....

Why would it be able to find the /dev/dsp device with OSS on one machine and not on another????

mikemaggio
02-03-2005, 03:02 AM
How do you run the alsa parameter?

locutus
02-03-2005, 05:24 AM
typically, one boots Knoppix and then adds the cheatcode "alsa" and away it goes. For the Newbie, you'd type:
knoppix alsa

I think I got gnomemeeting working somewhat on the i810 system by running the alsa_init script after booting( run as root ).