PDA

View Full Version : I have questions about my USB.

Topless Granny
03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Hello everyone. I have used Knoppix before and I liked it. I have a question about USB install.

I know I can install Knoppix in a USB flash drive. I want to do this, but I also have some Windows files and programs in the flash drive that I wish to not only keep, but be able to access from Windows in case I don't want to boot Knoppix.

So my questions are, how do I install Knoppix for USB boot but also have Windows programs I can access from the Windows Explorer? Do I just make a folder with my stuff in the USB installing Knoppix? Lastly, what's the least amount of space Knoppix can take?

Thanks a lot.

chip.ling
03-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Hello everyone. I have used Knoppix before and I liked it. I have a question about USB install.

I know I can install Knoppix in a USB flash drive. I want to do this, but I also have some Windows files and programs in the flash drive that I wish to not only keep, but be able to access from Windows in case I don't want to boot Knoppix.

So my questions are, how do I install Knoppix for USB boot but also have Windows programs I can access from the Windows Explorer? Do I just make a folder with my stuff in the USB installing Knoppix? Lastly, what's the least amount of space Knoppix can take?

Thanks a lot.

First of all, you need to know that during the process of making a bootable Knoppix on USB, all data on the USB drive will be erased. So first thing first, you need to back up all your files (windows files) to somewhere else before you start.

Back to your question, once you have the USB drive working as a bootable USB drive, you can copy back all the windows files you have back to your USB drive. Windows is able to read the USB drive if it is formatted as FAT16 or FAT32.

Rgds,
Chip

mecho
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Another way is to repartition your flash drive and have a separate partition for shared files between knoppix and windows.
Just follow this tutorial and you will be fine :)
http://www.ab9il.net/flashdrive-linux/flashlinux3A.html