PDA

View Full Version : Suspend and hibernate not working in 6.2.1

thriftee
03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I have an MSI P7N Diamond m/b. All BIOS options are set to default. Knoppix is installed to the HD and is generally GREAT.

But if I click suspend the logout box goes away, but nothing else seems to happen. If I click hibernate, the screen goes black for a second, then comes back with the network reconnecting.

Any suggestions how to diagnose why the suspend and hibernate don't work on mine?

thanks...

ckamin
03-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Generally, my take on it is that Knoppix is a "Live" disk and should usually be used as such. It seems to have some issues when installed to the HD. There are many relationships that may need to be resolved, and it is usually easier to start with a Distribution that was intended for a HD install. A good start might be Debian, since Knoppix is based on that distro. Many people have installed Knoppix and have resolved such issues. I don't wish to spend many hours trying to do so. Learned that lesson some years ago, and get reminded every time I try a HD install of Knoppix.

thriftee
03-28-2010, 06:04 AM
I like the LXDE implementation and integration.

I like the additional programs that come with. The additional programs included are in many cases the ones I've been adding to other Distros, and in many cases its much better done than when I just add it.

I like the newer versions of things that come with.

I like that I don't need to do modifications to get there.

Debian is my 2nd favorite distro because lenny gets me a lot of what I want, but knoppix gets me closer to the goal line. I have the same roblem under Debian. Frugalware does better with susend/resume, bat is missing some of the features I like from knoppix.

krishna.murphy
03-29-2010, 01:41 AM
I like the LXDE implementation and integration.

I like the additional programs that come with. The additional programs included are in many cases the ones I've been adding to other Distros, and in many cases its much better done than when I just add it.

I like the newer versions of things that come with.

I like that I don't need to do modifications to get there.

Debian is my 2nd favorite distro because lenny gets me a lot of what I want, but knoppix gets me closer to the goal line. I have the same roblem under Debian. Frugalware does better with susend/resume, bat is missing some of the features I like from knoppix.

Yeah, I like "them extrees" too, and I can add my own goodies with the persistent image as well; I hear that 6.3 will have most everything I have and I'll probably upgrade when I can get it. FYI, I have the same experience with hibernating, but suspend works almost all the time. It looks to me like the program that would save everything in memory to disk is crashing and I'm left looking at a system that got disconnected but is otherwise fine. I posted something the other day about this project I heard about (TuxOnIce (http://www.tuxonice.net/)) but I haven't heard whether it's compatible. I think it may be useable by "ins" as a module to the kernel, but I'm pretty shaky on that level (i.e. "wizard") of OS/kernel stuff.

Krishna