PDA

View Full Version : Flash-Knoppix Command

Billa
03-14-2010, 07:35 PM
When I run the flash-knoppix command, after selecting the Cruzer 8GB USB device, I get a cp: error after 98% of the process is complete. the cp: error is an read/write error.

There is one 8GB Fat32 partition.

What am I doing wrong?

Bill
:(

Capricorny
03-15-2010, 12:58 AM
When I run the flash-knoppix command, after selecting the Cruzer 8GB USB device, I get a cp: error after 98% of the process is complete. the cp: error is an read/write error.

What am I doing wrong?

Bill
Maybe nothing? This should not happen, usually it will be due to media errors - if there is enough free space left on the medium, then. You could try to format the stick with verification, some burning programs, like k3b, have an option for verification of the CD/DVD burning, too. If you trust the stick, the CD/DVD may very well be the culprit.

chip.ling
03-17-2010, 03:23 AM

What am I doing wrong?

Bill

Not sure if it is related. I believe I saw some posts on the forum before (maybe on other forum) complaining about the Cruzer USB device. I remembered they say the Cruzer comes with a special program and format in the drive to do some kind protection so that it will create problem for Knoppix.

According to my memory, the folks on the forum say he needs to remove that program and then perform some tasks similar to re-format the USB device to make it work.

Rgds,
Chip

plumtreed
03-17-2010, 09:21 AM
The Cruzer/U3 problem usually manifests as a 'boot error' after appearing to load successfully. It can usually be avoided by formating the Sandisc Cruzer in Windows. Fat32.

This sounds like a bad cd/dvd burn, I would suggest trying to burn the ISO? again.

mecho
03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I had the same problem on 4gb flash drive, but it did not occure on my second attempt. It is possible that the U3 software is the cause, it is totally useless and real evil. Here is a way to remove U3 from your flash
http://u3.com/support/default.aspx#CQ3