PDA

View Full Version : HDD Meta Install Script

raid517
06-08-2003, 01:16 AM
Hi, I love Knoppix, of all the Linux versions I have tried, it has the best harware detection and configuration options.

However, the big problem is that this does not translate during a HDD install to a great HD OS. Almost all of the best configutation features are lost, together with a lot of hardware detection and networking options.

I wondered since it is possible to save a Knoppix configuration via saveconfig, if this could be used to build a meta install script that would mirror exactly all of the user set up and configuration options that are selected prior to performing a HDD install. It would be nice too if the users Knoppix home directory (the one you format to hold your persistant Knoppix partiion) could be expanded, so that no user files are lost either.

Bsically I want my Knoppix HDD install to look and feel exactly like the Knoppix cd does. (with the ability to auto mount all my drives just as Knoppix does). The graphical CD can then be used as a very cool install and configuration utility, allowing you to set Knoppix up just the way you like it, or change various things yopu don't like, before deciding to install it.

That really would make Knoppix the coolest Linux OS there is....

Q

rickenbacherus
06-08-2003, 02:40 AM
What you ask for has been discussed extensively- read the docs man. Alot of people have put uncountable hours into them.

raid517
06-08-2003, 03:49 AM
Well there's no need to be rude. I don't even use Knoppix any more beyond as a rescue CD. I personally use Gentoo. If there has been a discussion about this then I would be happy to contribute to it.

I personally don't have an infinite amout of time to sit and read the doccumentation for a distribution I hardly use. The reason I don't use it regularly is exactly for the reasons I have given.

So what was the outcome of this doscussion, what was decided? Or are you just going to be rude again... You could have at least posted a link - although I guess searching isn't such a bad thing. The problem is I didn't know exactly what it is I am supposed to be searching for...

It is people like you who spoil the fun of the computing experience. This is an open public forum. The worst I was hoping for was an informal chat about this subject, or more information about it, which sadly you appear reluctant to provide.

Perhaps I think you should work on your social skills a little.

Q

rickenbacherus
06-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Well there's no need to be rude. I don't even use Knoppix any more beyond as a rescue CD. I personally use Gentoo. If there has been a discussion about this then I would be happy to contribute to it.

Sorry if you feel offended. If you truly want to contribute then you could help write some of the documentation perhaps.

I personally don't have an infinite amout of time to sit and read the doccumentation for a distribution I hardly use. The reason I don't use it regularly is exactly for the reasons I have given.

Then I would suggest trying IRC.

So what was the outcome of this doscussion, what was decided? Or are you just going to be rude again... You could have at least posted a link - although I guess searching isn't such a bad thing. The problem is I didn't know exactly what it is I am supposed to be searching for...

There is already a link. It's at the top of the page and it's called Docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/)

It is people like you who spoil the fun of the computing experience. This is an open public forum. The worst I was hoping for was an informal chat about this subject, or more information about it, which sadly you appear reluctant to provide.

Allow me to answer in kind; I personally don't have an infinite amout of time to sit and rewrite the documentation for a distribution that you hardly use.

Perhaps I think you should work on your social skills a little.

Now that I won't argue with! It's just that it's blatantly obvious that you haven't read any of the docs at all. Seems a waste of time to me to keep rehashing the same subject- wouldn't you agree? Don't get bent out of shape- show up prepared and you won't get fired upon. :)

raid517
06-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Mate I read what I needed to know.... But if you think I, or any mere mortal has time to wade through hundreds of (usually not so well sorted) doccumentation)just to uncover some small snippit of probably, on the whole scale of things irrelevant information, your living on another planet.

I read stuff that's relevant to me. I just got through reading and installing Gentoo from their docs - and they are quite a bit more difficult to follow than your average distribution.

All I did was ask a casual passing question on an open public forum - and you seemed to go a bit demented with that.

You sound like you help write the docs. I'm sure their very good docs. But I was looking for a quick pointer, not an indepth explanation of the inner workings of Knoppix in miniscule detail. Anyway if it is such a big FAQ, you would expect it to be in the HDD install FAQ right? Well I have to see I don't remember seeing it there. (See I did read some of the doccumentation...)

I can tell you one thing for sure. I definately don't want to come on a forum and get in a fight with somebody just becuase I asked what seemed to me like a perfectly reasoable question. On the whole I just can't be assed arguing with people on forums. Its all a bunch of petty point scoring garbage.

I'm happy to be reasoable. I think I was. I don't think I should have been so hard for you to reciprocate. Hey I've got an idea, in future, if a question really pisses you off, how about you just don't answer it? Its not exactly brain surgery.

Q