PDA

View Full Version : How to access local files on Linux?

kurapatisrk
03-16-2010, 06:07 AM
I am new to linux. I have Windows XP on my system and loaded VMware Workstation to run Linux as my second operating system.Now, I am not able to access a local folder in my C drive? How can I do it??????

chip.ling
03-17-2010, 03:07 AM
I am new to linux. I have Windows XP on my system and loaded VMware Workstation to run Linux as my second operating system.Now, I am not able to access a local folder in my C drive? How can I do it??????

If I understand you correctly, you have Windows XP running as the host system, then on the top of it, you have a virtual machine running Linux as a guest OS.

If you are running such configuration, the Linux is running in the virtual machine which consider itself a stand-alone machine inside your local network. You can view you have two logical machines running in one physical box. (i.e. one Windows XP machine and one Linux machine) But on the OS level, they are total separated and independence to each other.

So if you want to access the windows xp's file system from the Linux machine, you can use samba to setup a NFS on the Linux side to access the Windows box file system. (a kind of share drive concept on the Windows world)

see detail on http://knoppix.net/wiki/Network_Shared_Drive_FAQ for setup steps

One thing you need to remember is that, both Windows XP and Linux are active (both are running). So you may not be able to touch or modify some system files on the Windows side.

Rgds,
Chip