PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is detected but plays no sound

sirReal
06-08-2003, 04:13 AM
ok, first off, this post refers to Knoppix V3.2-2003-05-20.
i have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard that i got with a Dell PC. after booting, i'll run sndconfig to have it detect my card. it does, no problem (cs46xx). then it plays a test sound. but i can't hear the sound. yes, my speaker volume is up just about as loud as it'll go (which is way too loud). so i tell sndconfig that i didn't hear the sound, which takes me to the driver selection screen. i tried a few other random drivers, but they reported all kinds of errors so i stopped because i knew they were wrong anyway.
if i boot with knoppix alsa=cs46xx the same thing happens, with one tiny exception: during the boot, i do hear a couple beeps through my speakers, but they're pretty quiet (and my speakers are waaay up). again, sound doesn't work with play or xmms or anything else i've tried. and yes, i've made sure to adjust alsamixer to make sure it's not muted by default.
so how come this isn't working? i haven't gotten this card to work yet, even after reinstalling alsa and building the module myself. the best luck i had was with OSS/commercial, but that couldn't even be described as "working." this is a huge shame, because this card is absolutely stellar in windoze. it's the single thing that's keeping me from wiping that damn ntfs partition :)
tVMia!

paradocs
06-08-2003, 04:47 AM
Greetings.

I don't know much so I hope some others will
answer. If you hear nothing -- this may not help.
I improved my sound greately with some settings
in KDE so you might want to look at this until some
real help comes.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831
Best Wishes,
paradocs

Jeff Harrison
07-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Hello,
Just downloaded and ran Knoppix 3.2 7-24-2003 build and I to have the Santa Cruz - on an Asus P4PE. I have not been able to get the santa cruz to work in previous builds, but this build seams to be working with the sound card. I had to use sndconf to detect the card. In the XMMS program I set the output plugin to OSS Driver 1.2.7 and all works fine. I currently have the sound card set in windows with the versa jack as a digital out and run through an external yamaha decoder/speaker setup. the speaker don't work but the head set is working fine. I think that the connections being wired for digital may be my only problem, I may try setting up wires to analog outputs on card to see if this fixes the problem.

My current specs are

Asus P4PE
P4 - 2.4B
512MB DDR
Santa Cruz
Onboard Gigabit Lan - works perfectly from first boot and going through Linksys Router/Gateway to cable connection.

I used to get a PCI Collision error at first startup, but with this build that is not coming up.

Hope this helps,

Jeff