PDA

View Full Version : harddrive mounting opinions

cb81490
03-23-2010, 06:38 AM
I am getting this error when attempting to access on ntfs windows xp home edition partition on knoppix 6.0.2 live cd. I get org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.unknownfailure. i have read up on the but most of the posts on the internet are forgotten about never updating about the solution. I have read a lot of articles and it seems like most people say this is a mounting issue and you just need to mount it or force mount it. I understand that and would like to try but is this safe? Many posts say it is not safe to force mount that drive and you could ruin it forever. I simple want some opinions before i attempt to force mount it. I am pretty sure i can fix the drive using windows repair utility but i would like to get the data before i attempt to fix the drive. Thank you for your time.

krishna.murphy
03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I am getting this error when attempting to access on ntfs windows xp home edition partition on knoppix 6.0.2 live cd. I get org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.unknownfailure. i have read up on the but most of the posts on the internet are forgotten about never updating about the solution. I have read a lot of articles and it seems like most people say this is a mounting issue and you just need to mount it or force mount it. I understand that and would like to try but is this safe? Many posts say it is not safe to force mount that drive and you could ruin it forever. I simple want some opinions before i attempt to force mount it. I am pretty sure i can fix the drive using windows repair utility but i would like to get the data before i attempt to fix the drive. Thank you for your time.

I've been having the same problem; I used something off the "Hiren's Boot CD" to fix the NTFS partition (it was not dismounted cleanly, according to one of the other tools on that disk.) Just Google that disk name if you don't have it, it's all over - the best place I found to get it was a Thai server - very fast, no gotchas.

Cheers! :D
Krishna

cb81490
03-24-2010, 12:57 AM
ya i have used hirens before its soft of confusing what was the utility you used? Thanks for the quick reply.
Connor

cb81490
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
did you run the utility to fix the sectors?

krishna.murphy
03-24-2010, 05:45 PM

I'll just reply quickly, without rebooting to Hiren's (no time now) - it was in the hard drive section, I think, and the thing that did the trick was just a chkdsk - just not the one in XP.

krishna.murphy
03-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I'll just reply quickly, without rebooting to Hiren's (no time now) - it was in the hard drive section, I think, and the thing that did the trick was just a chkdsk - just not the one in XP.

It's in the NTFS section, first selection; it runs the chkdsk program first (on default), which I think you can do yourself by dropping to the command line; that brings up a German language prompt "Drucken Sie die [Enter] Taste und die Laufwerke zu prufen" which I think means "hit Enter and choose a drive".