PDA

View Full Version : bootable usb tutorial?

seribas
03-24-2010, 01:40 AM
There is a wealth of info avail for how to download to cd in the faq's, but i cant find the instr. for downloading knoppix to a flashdrive. can someone point me in the right direction? would the process be the same for flashdrive as for making a cd? and one final question, after the OS(knoppix) is on the flashdrive will i also be able to use the remaining space for file storage in knoppix?

I have a cd version of knoppix that a freind made for me and it works great and i absolutely love it, just wish I could save stuff! / not be using my cd drive so intensly.

krishna.murphy
03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
There is a wealth of info avail for how to download to cd in the faq's, but i cant find the instr. for downloading knoppix to a flashdrive. can someone point me in the right direction? would the process be the same for flashdrive as for making a cd? and one final question, after the OS(knoppix) is on the flashdrive will i also be able to use the remaining space for file storage in knoppix?

I have a cd version of knoppix that a freind made for me and it works great and i absolutely love it, just wish I could save stuff! / not be using my cd drive so intensly.

On initial bootup, try the command
knoppix tohd=/dev/sdb1or whatever your usb drive would be if not sdb1 - it's called a "poor man's install" and does just about all I need. You can also use your hard drive, e.g. sda1 or hda1, etc. You'll be prompted to create an encrypted persistent image, which allows downloaded stuff (like Flash video player, and Chrome) to stay on, and your data as well. Thereafter, use
knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1 or whatever.

Cheers!
Krishna :wink:

seribas
03-26-2010, 08:41 PM
wow. ok can you dumb that way way down? im really new and that made very little sense.
can you explain what codes are and what do these ones mean?

krishna.murphy
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
wow. ok can you dumb that way way down? im really new and that made very little sense.
can you explain what codes are and what do these ones mean?

Here's the deal: if you allow the boot to happen without intervention, you'll have a "Live CD" environment, and all operations that require anything not in memory will access the CD. If you type anything at all before boot proceeds onward (big penguin inside an arc still showing) , e.g. F2 for more boot options, you can take as much time as you like to put in something like
knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1which will copy all the needful files to the hard drive (first partition on the SATA drive in the example.) If it's an IDE drive, and partition 2 is where you have room (4GB if you're using the DVD) do the following
knoppix tohd=/dev/hda2and it will go there. Either way, when it's done copying you will then be running from the hard drive instead of directly off the CD. You'll also be prompted to set up an encrypted "persistent image" which allows you to download and install more software and user files won't vanish on reboot, Thereafter the command changes from "tohd" to "fromhd" to access the already copied files.

seribas
04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
would this be a good place for a noobie to start? is this acurate to version 6.2? this is what i mean by a basic explanation, i mean REALLY basic when you guys put in codes and talk about SATA drives an IDE drive etc. i have no clue what you are talking about, can we please dumb this down???

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/installing-usb-knoppix-51-using-linux/

krishna.murphy
04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
would this be a good place for a noobie to start? is this acurate to version 6.2? this is what i mean by a basic explanation, i mean REALLY basic when you guys put in codes and talk about SATA drives an IDE drive etc. i have no clue what you are talking about, can we please dumb this down???

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/installing-usb-knoppix-51-using-linux/

You need to just go ahead and TRY this stuff - Knoppix is mostly useful if you learn by DOING. FWIW, I wouldn't bother with the pendrive approach, as the capability is built in nowadays. You can also buy it pre-installed on a new flash drive. The way to do it yourself is:

1) Do you have the latest Knoppix? That means 6.2.1 right now. Use the "Get Knoppix" link at the top of the forum if you don't have it. I'm assuming the download is done, and it's burned to a CD or DVD.

2) Boot it up. When you have the desktop up, go ahead and put the USB-flash drive in the PC.

3) Click the icon at the bottom-left (what would be Start if it was Windows.)

4) Navigate to 'Preferences'-'Install KNOPPIX to flash drive' and click (as shown on attachment.)

Hope that helps!
Krishna ;)