PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix can boot an ISO that is on which Filesystem?

GCMartin
03-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I see that I can boot from my Knoppix CD and by hitting F3, add the proper selection, where I can boot an ISO file.

My questions:
Can the ISO file be on a FAT32 filesystem?
Can the ISO file be on a NTFS filesystem?
Can the ISO file be on a EXT3 filesystem?
Can the ISO file be on a EXT4 filesystem?
Can the ISO file be on a Reiser filesystem?

Can the ISO file be on a CD filesystem on my 2nd DVD drive?

Thanks in advance

ICPUG
03-25-2010, 06:32 PM
If you want to boot Knoppix from an ISO on an NTFS system you need Ruymbeke's modified minirt.gz file for the specific version of Knoppix you have.

He releases them for most Knoppix versions and you will find them mentioned on the following thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796

It is a rather long thread so you may want to read from the latest posts backwards if you have a recent version of Knoppix.

GCMartin
04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the NTFS. I assume you've done this.

Let's assume that I am running from the LiveCD/DVD that is version 5+ and I AM NOT USING VERSION 6.2+. Can anyone help me with the following question:
Does anyone know anything at all about the other filesystems when using the "iso" boot option? Does Knoppix work natively without installing anything by using the Boot time option on any of the filesystems I ask about earlier?

If so, would you share a sample boot option, please. For example did you use knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda7/ISOlib/Knoppix_5.0.1CD.iso (which did YOU use?)