PDA

View Full Version : WInrar for knoppix?

arsenal
03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
is there a version of winrar for knoppix? or any other software similar to winrar?

i downloaded an iso which is split into several parts and need to join tthe parts. is there any way to do this on knoppix?

Thanks for any help

OErjan
03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
there is unrar and urar out there, and rarlabs...

klaus2008
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
If the iso is not compressed but only split into parts then you could use cat to put the parts together again. Try
cat archive.iso.* >> archive.iso

Harry Kuhman
03-26-2010, 11:59 PM
I sure would not try cat on a rar file, rar by default does compress the file but even without compression a rar file contains extra overhead data, it is never simply a file split into parts.

Another very handy open sores tool that does deal with rar files is 7-zip. However, I don't believe it is on the Live CD and I don't know of any rar utility on the CD (although there certainly could be one hiding there some where).

It should be obvious that no utility that deals with rar file under Linux will begin with "Win", at least none that run natively.

klaus2008
03-27-2010, 10:20 AM
arsenal asked for a method to join parts of an iso. He did not write that it is a rar archive. I thought if the parts are made by split and uncompressed (filenames archive.iso.001 and archive.iso.002 etc.) cat archive.iso.001 archive.iso.002 >> archive.iso would work. But if it is a rar archive (filenames archive.iso.part1.rar and archive.iso.part2.rar etc.) one could try the following

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t testing install unrar
unrar e archive.iso.part1.rar