PDA

View Full Version : how to get Javascript to work

seribas
03-26-2010, 08:50 PM
I am very new to knoppix, a freind gave me a cd and i instantly fell in love.

there are a few basic things that i am trying to understand, ill try to keep this short and sweet.
i noticed in iceweasel that javascript was not working looked into prefrences and it says it is enabled. so i went to download the plug in, on the http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ site there are 5 different versions, which do i pick? I need someone to be very specific please, as if you are talking to a 12 year old.

on a whole other topic. so if knoppix is live cd/flash drive than how is it posible to save things?! even if i can get javascript enabled or a preference changed for instance it is always reversed everytime i reboot.
saving knoppix to my hard drive is not an option at this time just fyi.

Harry Kuhman
03-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Knoppix was intended as a Live CD, a way to introduce Windows users to an alternate OS (Linux) without their needing to install anything to their hard disk.

It is a great way to get your feet wet with Linux and consider that there are other options out there beyond what Microsoft offers. It has other good uses too, such as recovering data from a ruined Windows system, or testing a system, even when there is no OS installed, or no hard disk at all, or to see how well the system can run Linux (at least a base i386 form).

Knoppix is not however an ideal Linux system. Lots of choices were made that were good for a Live CD (and later a Live DVD) but not for a full time Linux system. Restrictions on some software kept and still keeps it from being included on the Knoppix disc, even though that software is free to download and use if you accept a license from the software owner. Some choices were made in the name of idiot-proofing Knoppix, knowing that it would be used by many new users who had Windows on their hard disk and might be upset if, in testing out a new system, they were able to harm the Windows system.

There have been changes and hacks over the years. The file system has been adapted to let you (temporarily) install new applications and try them. And there are supposedly ways to save a configuration and recover it when you next boot (although I personally have never gotten that to work). And you could always save data to disk, although a FAT partition is highly recommended, and writing to a NFTFS partition, if you can manage to do it at all, is considered very dangerous by many, including myself. Even writing to FAT type partitions can be tricky, as a result of the idiot-proof approach. The designers wanted to avoid a novice harming anything on their disk so Knoppix would mount partitions as "read only". Up through 5.x this could easily be changed by right clicking on a desktop icon for the partition, with 6.x the icons vanished and this is even harder for a novice.

So while you may be able to do the things that you want with Knoppix, also ask yourself if you should. If what you really want is a Linux system that you can use from day to day and install more software to it and keep all of your data like you would on a windows system, perhaps you should consider installing a distribution of Linux intended for permanent hard disk install. Some people choose to just replace Windows with Linux and never look back.Others, like myself, feel we need to use Windows for some things and either set up "dual boot" systems that can run either OS at boot time, or use multiple computers.

Knoppix is based on Debian. If you are ready to install Linux to a hard disk and you like Knoppx then I would suggest looking at a network install of either the "testing" or "unstable" versions of Debian (the "stable" version is pretty old, and I would only suggest using that for mission critical server applications).

Clinton
03-26-2010, 09:58 PM
seribas, you sure you mean java and not javascript?

seribas
03-26-2010, 10:24 PM
thanks harry for the explanation, i realize knoppix is a more temporary os. i plan to use ubuntu later on but until i get a new hard drive i have to stick with knoppix or some other live os.

javascript. sorry to be confusing :) just wondering if it is possible to get javascript to work so i can watch youtube/ surf the net on a live os version.
so for example i have two flash drives, a 1gig and a seperate 4gig. I want to use the 1g for the actual knoppix os and the 4g for storage of files/music/personal files, is it possible to use this scenario and have javascript work everytime i boot, or will i have to "fiddle" with it each time?

to be extra clear i am using a cd version of knoppix right now just to learn then i will install to usb.

Capricorny
03-27-2010, 12:20 AM
thanks harry for the explanation, i realize knoppix is a more temporary os. i plan to use ubuntu later on but until i get a new hard drive i have to stick with knoppix or some other live os.

javascript. sorry to be confusing :) just wondering if it is possible to get javascript to work so i can watch youtube/ surf the net on a live os version.
so for example i have two flash drives, a 1gig and a seperate 4gig. I want to use the 1g for the actual knoppix os and the 4g for storage of files/music/personal files, is it possible to use this scenario and have javascript work everytime i boot, or will i have to "fiddle" with it each time?

to be extra clear i am using a cd version of knoppix right now just to learn then i will install to usb.

You should use larger flash drives. I have found it impractical with less that 4 GB, and I mostly use 16 GB drives now. Then I can make Knoppix work mostly like a normal Linux distro, with flash, Javascript, web TV etc. You format the whole drive with FAT32, start a DVD Knoppix, and choose the "Install Knoppix to flash disk" option on the Preferences menu (6.2+). The first time you boot from the flash drive, you will be asked if you want to create permanent (persistent) storage. If you choose the max size for that, 4GB, and have the DVD version installed, you will have filled up a 8 GB drive, but still have about 8 GB left on a 16 GB drive. I think it is rather unwise to try to save a few dollars on smaller drives, or insist on using an old, small/slow drive for this. As soon as you have the persistent storage running, most of your settings will be automatically saved, but in some cases, you will have to make changes manually.

I use Firefox with no Javascript problems, but you can also (install and) use Chrome, Opera or something else. With the persistent storage, you installprograms mostly like with Ubuntu etc.

seribas
03-27-2010, 04:44 AM
as far as the usb, thankyou. that helped me understand way better.

with the javascript maybe im not being clear enough.

I want to watch video online, youtube,hulu, etc. when i go to youtube it says i either have javascript turned off or i need a newer version of adobes flash player, i look in prefrences javascript enabled.
which plug in do i need to download?? after downlaoded what do i do with it then? do i somehow assighn the new flashplayer somewhere?

disabling the NOscript add on does didily squat. nor does using firefox (exact same problem)
and under the add ons tab it says i have java... and in prefrences javascript is enabled... what am i missing?

Capricorny
03-28-2010, 12:14 AM
I want to watch video online, youtube,hulu, etc. when i go to youtube it says i either have javascript turned off or i need a newer version of adobes flash player, i look in prefrences javascript enabled.
which plug in do i need to download?? after downlaoded what do i do with it then? do i somehow assighn the new flashplayer somewhere?

disabling the NOscript add on does didily squat. nor does using firefox (exact same problem)
and under the add ons tab it says i have java... and in prefrences javascript is enabled... what am i missing?

You must have persistent storage set up to work simpy and efficiently with installations.

1. Use Iceweasel.
2. Get used to enabling scripts with the script icon in the lower right corner of the window. It seems that you have not tried that. That should solve most JavaScript problems. You don't describe what you try very well, being more specific would help, I think.
3. When trying to access content needing Flasplayer, you will often be directed to Adobe's download page. There you choose a .deb package for download. Plain debian is best, sometimes Ubuntu packages can work, as Ubuntu is kind of Debian derivative. Download to Desktop or
4. After downolading, you will usualy have to install the package. Open a terminal window, cd to the directory with the downloaded package, check the manual for dpkg, command man dpkg. If I remember right, it should suffice with the command (I didn't check this

sudo dpkg -i <package-to-install>

When you restart Iceweasel, it should play Flash content - at least it has done so for me.