PDA

View Full Version : Network does not work / Knoppix 6.x

mika007
03-29-2010, 08:57 AM
I have used several older versions from knoppix 3.7 up to 5.1.1 (CD) and 5.3.1 (DVD) and in all of them, the network works just fine.

But then I tried knoppix 6.0.1 - network does not work.

I assumed that maybe this is a bug due to the major rewrite of knoppix, and would be fixed in a later 6.x release, so I later tried knoppix 6.2 ....

And, to my big disappointment, the network in 6.2 is just as broken as in 6.0.1 !

I cannot remember the error messages exactly, but at the time I read them, it seems to me that knoppix 6.x series can only make IPv6 -networking, with all support for IPv4 dropped.

Now, that would mean that in 6.x you can only use networking if

a) your ISP supports IPv6

b) you use a hardware firewall that supports IPv6 (and can translate between IPv4 and IPv6)

So what is the reason that in 6.2, the networking problems are still not fixed ?

Even 5.3.1 (the last properly working knoppix) begins to be quite outdated now, and what makes this problem even worse, is this:

1. It is only available as a DVD -version, while many times I would prefer a CD version (makes it possible to use the TORAM option on most PC's)

2. the locale system is somehow misconfigured.
when booting 5.3.1 as follows: knoppix lang=fi

the software already installed into knoppix works fine. But after installing Opera browser, any non US-ascii charactes typed while using Opera will go wrong. It is possible to fix this for Opera, but if you do this, then the same problem starts to appear in every other application !

(yes, I actually installe Opera while using knoppix as a LIVE distro, I did not do any hard disk installment).

3. the automatic recognition of display & adapter dd not produce meaningful results. Luckily, I have now studied this subject enough so I could manually edit the X11 conf file to get my 1280x1024 resolution LCD panel display to work properly at it's native resolution. And have made a small script on my /boot -partition on hard disk to just overwite the X11 conf file by one I have hand -edited to work.

But one of the strong points of knoppix has been that it does these settings automatically and correctly - so it is even beginner-friendly. But it is no more beginner-friendly if it now fails with these kind of things.

I found a web site with a good modeline calculator, and it can calculate anything else automatically when you just enter the resolution and sync frequency (like 56 or 60 hz), except I still do not know wheteher I should use + or - with vsync and hsync. -so there are 4 combinations with +vsync, -vsync, +hsync, -hsync - after trying all of them, one should work.

Also, 5.1.1 fails to detect my sound "card" (integrated into motherboard) - but 5.3.1 does it properly.

Is there any way that the network problems could be fixed into then next knoppix release and when will that happen ?

krishna.murphy
03-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I have used several older versions from knoppix 3.7 up to 5.1.1 (CD) and 5.3.1 (DVD) and in all of them, the network works just fine.

But then I tried knoppix 6.0.1 - network does not work.

I assumed that maybe this is a bug due to the major rewrite of knoppix, and would be fixed in a later 6.x release, so I later tried knoppix 6.2 ....

And, to my big disappointment, the network in 6.2 is just as broken as in 6.0.1 !

I cannot remember the error messages exactly, but at the time I read them, it seems to me that knoppix 6.x series can only make IPv6 -networking, with all support for IPv4 dropped.

Now, that would mean that in 6.x you can only use networking if

a) your ISP supports IPv6

b) you use a hardware firewall that supports IPv6 (and can translate between IPv4 and IPv6)

So what is the reason that in 6.2, the networking problems are still not fixed ?

Even 5.3.1 (the last properly working knoppix) begins to be quite outdated now, and what makes this problem even worse, is this:

1. It is only available as a DVD -version, while many times I would prefer a CD version (makes it possible to use the TORAM option on most PC's)

2. the locale system is somehow misconfigured.
when booting 5.3.1 as follows: knoppix lang=fi

the software already installed into knoppix works fine. But after installing Opera browser, any non US-ascii charactes typed while using Opera will go wrong. It is possible to fix this for Opera, but if you do this, then the same problem starts to appear in every other application !

(yes, I actually installe Opera while using knoppix as a LIVE distro, I did not do any hard disk installment).

3. the automatic recognition of display & adapter dd not produce meaningful results. Luckily, I have now studied this subject enough so I could manually edit the X11 conf file to get my 1280x1024 resolution LCD panel display to work properly at it's native resolution. And have made a small script on my /boot -partition on hard disk to just overwite the X11 conf file by one I have hand -edited to work.

But one of the strong points of knoppix has been that it does these settings automatically and correctly - so it is even beginner-friendly. But it is no more beginner-friendly if it now fails with these kind of things.

I found a web site with a good modeline calculator, and it can calculate anything else automatically when you just enter the resolution and sync frequency (like 56 or 60 hz), except I still do not know wheteher I should use + or - with vsync and hsync. -so there are 4 combinations with +vsync, -vsync, +hsync, -hsync - after trying all of them, one should work.

Also, 5.1.1 fails to detect my sound "card" (integrated into motherboard) - but 5.3.1 does it properly.

Is there any way that the network problems could be fixed into then next knoppix release and when will that happen ?

Hey-

Glad to hear you got the display fixed up; maybe you could post that "modeline calculator" link for the next person with the same issue. FWIW, IPv4 seems fine on my system, so that problem is most likely an issue with the driver for your hardware. Perhaps you could post some relevant details, e.g. the output of "lspci -v" so that someone can spot the issue there. Also what specifically is the hardware, and perhaps even the lspci from the v5.3.1 where the network works.

-Krishna