PDA

View Full Version : Saving Documents

sdcougar
04-23-2010, 11:14 PM
How do you save a download or an open office word document when on a llive CD?

Which brings up a more general question for newcomers....where do you find help/tutorials? [i see nothing in FAQ...search box brings up nothing, even on 'usb']...I don't find anything in the menu...sorry, I am not a geek; first experience with a live cd....hope not the last..

JohnKlug
04-29-2010, 07:41 AM
How do you save a download or an open office word document when on a llive CD?

Which brings up a more general question for newcomers....where do you find help/tutorials? [i see nothing in FAQ...search box brings up nothing, even on 'usb']...I don't find anything in the menu...sorry, I am not a geek; first experience with a live cd....hope not the last..

My hard drives are NTFS windows 7. When I click on home on the desktop, the hard drives are listed in the left column. I can then click on them, and drill down. The top directory of an NTFS drive is /media/sdxn, where x is a letter like a,b,c ... and n is a number (the partition number). The hard drive is already mounted, and I can just save my stuff to /media/sda1/..., for instance: /media/sdb1/Users/Public/Documents I installed the 6.2 DVD, I believe, and if I go into open office, help, it says I need to install some package. Unless you have persistant storage (USB flash, not CD/DVD), or you remaster Knoppix, and install the help yourself, I doubt if you will get help. Looks like they cut corners here.

krishna.murphy
04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
My hard drives are NTFS windows 7. When I click on home on the desktop, the hard drives are listed in the left column. I can then click on them, and drill down. The top directory of an NTFS drive is /media/sdxn, where x is a letter like a,b,c ... and n is a number (the partition number). The hard drive is already mounted

Hmm - I think it's the click on the drive icon in PCman (started automatically by the click on Home) that mounts them, in most cases. My own NTFS partition is mounted by default because I'm forcing that with the way I boot up (which is because I'm using the NTFS partition for my KNOPPIX directory.) I am definitely able to use things from, and store to, my Windows "My Documents" folder, for instance. Just boot the CD and type
knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 the first time or
knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1 thereafter to do the same.

Regards, Krishna:mrgreen:

and I can just save my stuff to /media/sda1/..., for instance: /media/sdb1/Users/Public/Documents I installed the 6.2 DVD, I believe, and if I go into open office, help, it says I need to install some package. Unless you have persistant storage (USB flash, not CD/DVD), or you remaster Knoppix, and install the help yourself, I doubt if you will get help. Looks like they cut corners here.