PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please...

rayrod354
04-25-2010, 12:28 AM
My laptop has crashed recently. And am unable to start my laptop in any mode. I tried to use Knoppix Usb and was able to as an operating system to do basic functions but I looked around was not able to find a way to access his hard drive. How can I access my hard drive and then reinstall Windows XP.

I saw that someone else posted this previously and the only answer he got was that Knoppix was not meant for that purpose but can be done and that this same topic has come up in the past... I know from other forums that most people are more than friendly to help and at least post a link to the previous thread with this topic... Just wondering if anyone could help. Thanks guys...

OErjan
04-25-2010, 06:59 PM
installing windows with knoppix, not likely to happen, repaiing MIGHT! be done but not safely and not easy.
best bet is backing up data from hdd and installing from scratch.

krishna.murphy
04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Beat bet with Knoppix, IMHO, is try looking with the PCman file manager to see if the hdd is recognized at all - if so, try right-clicking it to mount, then recover your data by writing it to another drive (maybe even the USB drive.) You might also like Hiren's Boot CD (http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd) - it has LOTS of good tools for fixing systems that are broken in the way it sounds like yours is.

Krishna