PDA

View Full Version : Do I have the right program?

Pheadlee
04-27-2010, 07:30 AM
I was able to download Knoppix, put it on a CD and boot my computer up to a Knoppix screen. It does not seem to be similar to what I am supposed to see ie...an icon with a hard drive. All I see is a black screen that says Adriane on top with the options listed below as 0 press ENTER for help, 1 WWW, 2 E-mail, 3 Chat, 4 SMS, 5 Multimedia, 6 Contacts, 7 Notebook, 8 Text Scanner, 9 File Manager, 10 Shell, 11 Graphical Programs, 12 Setup & 13 Shutdown.

What I wanted to do was copy my documents to save them and then see if I could get the computer to start normally.

I am in DRC Congo with no startup cd for this Vaio laptop. The version of Knoppix that I downloaded was: Knoppix Adriane version 6.2_cd. Did I download the correct file?

Thanks.

krishna.murphy
04-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey-

You got the wrong version (text reader mode default), but it's easy to use it as a GUI instead. Just boot up and type in
knoppix and you'll adjust that default behavior.

Cheers!
Krishna:mrgreen:

Harry Kuhman
04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
...... The version of Knoppix that I downloaded was: Knoppix Adriane version 6.2_cd. Did I download the correct file?

Versions with Adriane in the name are targeted at the visually impaired, and as already stated you can bypass this by typing in "knoppix" at the boot prompt. In the future it would likely be better to download a version without Adriane. Also, pay attention to the EN and DE in the names, with indicate a default to English or German.