PDA

View Full Version : Missing hard drive icons

Deansman
04-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I recently downloaded Knoppix and it ran successfully. However, when I tried to copy files from my PC hard disk to a USB hard disk the files would not copy or move. Thinking it was a download problem and having tried several versions I sent for a disk from the states. Disappointingly this produces the same result. Help on the net suggests that the read/write option for the target disk needs to be changed and instructs the user to right click on the disk icon on the desktop to produce a menu to achieve the reset of the read/write option. Alas there are no disk icons displayed on the desktop. The disks are visible when using the file manager. Can anyone help me please?

krishna.murphy
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Did you first click the USB drive icon in the left panel in PCman, before the copy attempt? That should automatically mount the drive read-write, which will then allow the copy.

Cheers!
Krishna:mrgreen:

Deansman
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Did you first click the USB drive icon in the left panel in PCman, before the copy attempt? That should automatically mount the drive read-write, which will then allow the copy.

Cheers!
Krishna:mrgreen:

Thanks Krishna. I will try this option

Deansman
04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
The suggestion didn't make any difference. All drives are shown as mounted. Any further suggestions please. Regards John

krishna.murphy
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
The suggestion didn't make any difference. All drives are shown as mounted. Any further suggestions please. Regards John

Not sure - what do you mean "shown as mounted"? Can you see files on the drive/partition? Have you right-clicked the drive in the list on the left and then clicked "mount"?

Yours Truly!
Krishna