PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to view or uncompress the big knoppix file in windows?

Mad Professor
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Good Day All.

I am not 100% sure if I should post this question here or under "Customising & Remastering".

I am a very new user to the linux OS, and have always worked with DOS and dare I say it windows.

I would like to know if there is anyway I can view the files in the big knoppix file or even better uncompress the hole thing, but under windows OS.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

klaus2008
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
One possibility would be to use a virtual machine to run Knoppix under Windows. If you use a shared folder on your Windows machine and mount that folder inside the virtual machine then it should be possible to write the contents of the big Knoppix file on your Windows hard disk. But I think that file permissions and information about owner and group will be lost.

Mad Professor
04-29-2010, 07:22 PM
klaus2008: Thanks for your reply.

As said before I am very new to linux but you got me thinking, I don't want to take any risks with my main PC.

But how about using my laptop to run the Knoppix CD, and then uncompress the 460MB KNOPPIX file to a 2GB USB Memory Stick formated to Fat32?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.