PDA

View Full Version : kernel won't boot on 5/20/2003 or 6/6/2003

jedovaty
06-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I'm fairly stumped on this one, trying to do knoppix here for first time. The kernel simply won't boot for me on my system: msi 694d-pro-ar (2xPIII-800), 512mb ram, firegl 8800 video card. You can see my lspci -v output here (portablehole.net/~jano/fridge/lspci-v.txt) (from gentoo, and I'm sick of recompiling). The motherboard has onboard raid from promise fastrack lite 100, I have two harddrives connected to it in raid0, my cdrom is connected to ide0, and I have a tbu on ide1.

Looking through the bug list, this particular bug (http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=181) is almost exactly the output I'm getting (btw, this is not a laptop system); I'm not sure whether it is acpi related, but in either case, I have tried knoppix with various combinations of the following options on boot prompt: noapm noacpi noapic nosmp noagp failsafe mem=512M mem=64M apm=poweroff. In some cases, I tried adding the ide2 and ide3 lines found in this howto here (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ATA-RAID-HOWTO/existing.html); following the instructions per my lspci output, my lines end up as ide2=0xcc00,0xd002,11 ide3=0xd400,0xd802,11. I have tried disabling acpi and apm in the bios through various combinations.

Every other time (or so?), I'll get a kernel panic instead of just a system lockup. I've written this down, in case anyone wants to run a stack trace on it (I'm not sure how to run the trace, or whether it'll help at all). Please let me know and I'll type it up into the computer (it's quite a chore, so I won't do it unless I have to! ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try doing?? The interesting thing: debian netinst for sarge/sid locks up trying to load ide-mod, debian bf2.4 locks up just after detecting the fasttrack drives, and.. uhmm.. haven't tried anything else *shrug*. Oh, and I tried both cd's in another system, works fine except for a bunch of cloop thingies. I also tried the knoppix floppy images, but I have learned to hate floppies. They wouldnt even boot. Heheheh.

Thanks for you time.
Jano

jedovaty
06-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Okay, maybe my problem is a little too complicated, so I'm searching for a different solution. Does anyone know if it would be possible to install knoppix through chroot within another linux system? That way, I could rebuild the kernel without worrying about anything else... ??

rickenbacherus
06-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Oh, and I tried both cd's in another system, works fine except for a bunch of cloop thingies. I also tried the knoppix floppy images, but I have learned to hate floppies. They wouldnt even boot. Heheheh.

Thanks for you time.
Jano

The "cloop thingies" are the exact symptoms of a bad cd. It might be worth a look into. Boot testcd & check the md5sum of the .iso you downloaded.