PDA

View Full Version : Problem with mounting partition

ernestomodena
05-07-2010, 05:57 PM
My toshiba laptop has broken down. I am not able to boot with the normal Vista safe mode or with the bootup CD. Before i send it to customer service i want to get my pictures and school documents from the HDD.

So i downloaded the new knoppix en 6.2. CD. And booting is not a problem. The external hdd has been found as well as the 3 partitions on mine laptop hdd. Knoppix even show there name. The only problem is that i cant mount the partition where my files are stored. The other partitions i can easely mount and access.

It is a ntfs partition an shown as sda3. I get the following error "Error <i>org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure</i>"

Is there some way to access the files and copy them to my externall hdd.

krishna.murphy
05-08-2010, 05:25 PM
My toshiba laptop has broken down. I am not able to boot with the normal Vista safe mode or with the bootup CD. Before i send it to customer service i want to get my pictures and school documents from the HDD.

So i downloaded the new knoppix en 6.2. CD. And booting is not a problem. The external hdd has been found as well as the 3 partitions on mine laptop hdd. Knoppix even show there name. The only problem is that i cant mount the partition where my files are stored. The other partitions i can easely mount and access.

It is a ntfs partition an shown as sda3. I get the following error "Error <i>org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure</i>"

Is there some way to access the files and copy them to my externall hdd.

I think it might be time to switch to another fixit-type disk; Knoppix is great for many things, but this isn't one of them, I guess. Try Hiren's BootCD, which can be downloaded from many sites on the web. I found a Thai server that was VERY fast a few months ago, and it is almost indispensable if you have the NTFS filesystem and anything goes wrong (how often does THAT happen?).

Cheers!
Krishna:mrgreen:

rusty
05-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Knoppix has a few tools that can help, and there are other live cds. Here's a couple of links of interest:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

testdisk is included on Knoppix 6.2, ddrescue is as well.