PDA

View Full Version : Removing lxde

jheaton5
05-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I prefer Gnome. I installed gdm and gnome. Then I removed lxde and openbox. When booting/rebooting openbox tries to reboot, fails and shuts down X, which then immediately restarts. This is an endless loop.

How do I set gdm as the default?

krishna.murphy
05-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Since the cheatcodes say
knoppix desktop=kde|gnome|icewm and you've installed gdm, I suggest trying
knoppix desktop=gdm to start with; once it's proven, I think you can use the System config in the Preferences menu to set it permanently.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

jheaton5
05-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Thank you for the reply. I should have said I have installed knoppix to hd. The opening screen allowing the entry of cheat codes does not come up.

I assume that the cheat codes are stored in a file somewhere. I could possibly edit that file to "desktop=gnome" None of this may be of any use. The 6.2 cheat code wiki says that "gnome" is not a valid variable for desktop.

klaus2008
05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
SESSION=gnome /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"

jheaton5
05-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I would suggest the creation of a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop with the line
SESSION=gnome /etc/init.d/knoppix-startx reads that file and uses its content to select the gnome desktop environment. Edit: I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"
Klaus, that was the solution. Thanks a bunch.

krishna.murphy
05-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I think there should be quotation marks around gnome. But how do I enter those in this forum? Every time I tried I got the HTML &"

I find that "gnome" will work. Where are you puttiing that in, Code block like this one?

SESSION="gnome"Maybe it's okay because I'm on a Mac in Opera at the moment.

Krishna :mrgreen:

jheaton5
05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
[code]SESSION=gnome[/code|
worked just fine without the ""
I still seem to be using openbox however. Is there a config file I can edit to change to gdm?