PDA

View Full Version : VICTORY # 2 - flash boot w/persistence

daveca
05-17-2010, 07:20 PM
This is the first test of the new 4 GB flash drive with Knoppix 6.2 with persistence, IT ROCKS. NINETY (90) seconds from cold start to first web page in Iceweasel loaded. Now, THATS fast, and Im on a "slow" wireless connection on Clearwire, which, BTW, is faster than Charter DSL (Disgracefully Slow to Load) A few seconds will be shaved off that time when I remember that Im prompted for a boot password, didnt realize that halted the boot process. A few more seconds (15?) could be removed if I didnt have to use PLOP to boot from CD. The flash is lightning fast, it loads the ethernet connection so fast I cant read the prompt message. Now, to make my high end programs work (Solidworks, Word Perfect, McAfee...) Summary- KNoppix is TOO EASY. Thats the problem, we poor Window$ hacks are so accustomed to screwing around with the Widows non-operating system that the bad habits are applied to Knoppix, and they result in failure.

krishna.murphy
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
So you're booting a PLoP CD and then switching to flash? Why not use it on the hd?

Krishna :mrgreen:

daveca
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
1.) the system is un-crashable without the HDD (provided the flash device doesnt tank) 2.) Dont want to disturb whats on the HDD 3) security PS Question. There was an option at startup on Flash that asked for a memory allocation, how is that changed after the fact?