PDA

View Full Version : How/where can I load/put more fonts into the Knoppix 6.2?

GizmoPlushie
05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
I wonder how to and off course where to put some additional fonts and where to get them and if programs would see new fonts lightly?

Is it easy?

mecho
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
you cna put them in /usr/share/fonts/X11 and then do
sudo fc-cache -f
in terminal to refresh the fonts

krishna.murphy
05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Take a look here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28397-utf-8-console?p=120284#post120284) for some pretty good clues on the topic of fonts, etc.

Krishna :mrgreen:

mecho
05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
He is most probably asking about fonts for use with X - true type fonts only need to be copied in /usr/share/fonts/X11 and the cache has to be refreshed to take effect

GizmoPlushie
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm asking without knowing anything. I'm a newbie, sometimes LOST in the bush of Knoppie .')

GizmoPlushie
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
He is most probably asking about fonts for use with X - true type fonts only need to be copied in /usr/share/fonts/X11 and the cache has to be refreshed to take effect

How can I refresh the cache? Manually in some way?

mecho
05-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Check my previous message. First you put your TTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/
You can make one folder called truetype and place your fonts in there. Then you open lxterminal and type sudo fc-cache -f
hit enter and you are done. Your fonts will appear in any application using truetype fonts

GizmoPlushie
05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I've downloaded "Stargate Atlantis True Type Font" and many polish TTF fonts I've found freely. In the evening I'll give it a go and report back, Sir! :)

mecho
05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
If you are planning to use many fonts I'd suggest you to use some application as fontypython or fontmatrix to quickly load and unload groups of fonts. Many fonts can burden your system if installed permanently and will confuse you when you have to choose a font to use. fontmatrix is very powerful, but I use fontypython because it's a bit lighter

mecho
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Here is one more tip from me regarding fonts. Open /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and add the following lines just before <!-- Font directory list -->

<match target="font">
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
<edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
<edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
<const>hintslight</const>
</edit>
</match>

This makes sure that antialiasing is turned on and turns on autohinting. You may notice a pretty good change in how your fonts look on screen

GizmoPlushie
05-26-2010, 09:49 AM
This makes sure that antialiasing is turned on and turns on autohinting. You may notice a pretty good change in how your fonts look on screen

Yep. They look badly shaped on my screen, especially after midnight ;) Will try it. Thanks.