PDA

View Full Version : turn off compiz fusion

crazywizard
05-21-2010, 09:41 AM
I hate this compiz fusion crap. I know you can use the 'knoppix no3d' on live boot but where do you save this cheatcode so that compiz fusin is permanently disable?

daveca
05-23-2010, 12:23 AM
yes, the 3d effects are a bit much, I turned them off. The question isn't about the cheat code, its about storage, and unless youre using flash/HDD install, which allows them to be turned off under Menu-Preferances -CompiZConfig Settings Manager and saved as Persistent data, then itll take re-burning a CD with code changes, or writing a prompt into the F2 or F3 files. The last 2 arent exercises for beginners.

mecho
05-23-2010, 06:33 AM
You have two options
1. To include the no3d cheatcode in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg -place it in the the line that loads your knoppix - adrian or knoppix or both.

2.Second option is to use openbox instead of compiz and metacity by editing /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf the line window_manager=compiz should be window_manager=openbox-lxde.

I would personally recommend the second option.It gives you a good control over the looks and you get rid of this annoying compiz for good.

mecho
05-23-2010, 06:46 AM
If after boot you still get compiz - delete the file /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE/config

All this is assuming that you run knoppix from usb with persistent data file.If run from cd, there is no way of changing it apart from remastering

crazywizard
05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Am told that when u boot from live disc, use the cheatcode 'knoppix no3d' then install knoppix. The cheatcode will remain. Somebody try it out and let us know the outcome.

mecho
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I see no reason why I would want to install Knoppix on my hard drive. If I want to do that I would get a full Debian distro. Knoppix is specifically designed to be run as live CD or USB - that's it's strength

maspai
10-03-2012, 05:17 AM
If after boot you still get compiz - delete the file /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE/config

All this is assuming that you run knoppix from usb with persistent data file.If run from cd, there is no way of changing it apart from remastering

neither deleting config or desktop.conf work. everytime window_manager variable is set to openbox-lxde and then reboot or logout, the variable is restored to compiz. will removing compiz package work?

maccouch
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
seriously, i registered just so that i could blast this nonsense. What purpose does enabling Compiz effects on a live cd/dvd serves?!

I was fixing an old pc, and since i forgot my usual pack of linux dvds, i remember to download Knoppix instead of Mint as knoppix was once know as superb and light live cd (Linux MInt has been gaining weight..).

And after spending 30 minutos downloading, burning it to dvdrw booting up the old pc(pentium 4, 1 gb ram, 128 mb graphics) what do i find?! that it had compiz effects enabled by default, no way to disable it and it's slow as molasses because of that.

seriously, what purpose does this nonsense serve?! for me, sincerely, i'm done with knoppix. what a waist of time. if i had gone with Mint, i would be done rescuing data by now. Now i have to have doubled work! :( :confused:

maccouch
10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I hate this compiz fusion crap. I know you can use the 'knoppix no3d' on live boot but where do you save this cheatcode so that compiz fusin is permanently disable?

by the way, where can i insert that code? after boot selection i'm not given any time to use it. After the console login as root, it doesn't recognize the comand "knoppix" (maybe it was "startx no3d" ? ).

wolda
10-29-2012, 03:03 AM
by the way, where can i insert that code? after boot selection i'm not given any time to use it. After the console login as root, it doesn't recognize the comand "knoppix" (maybe it was "startx no3d" ? ).

No, this cheat code you enter when you are booting knoppix as a kernel parameter (i.e. you write in syslinux: "knoppix no3d"). More about cheat codes: http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes (this particular one is actually not listed there, if I see correctly). Enjoy!
To everybody - am I doing something wrong if "standard" key-shortcuts like <Alt>F1/<Alt>F2 does not work for me after replacing compiz with metacity, or there is some bug?

BTW, if you were interested in a small linux for hacking, I'd actually recommend grml instead of knoppix.

OT: I also registered just to write you the reply.

LX-1000
11-06-2012, 05:40 PM
While I like Compiz sometimes, I find that enabling it by default is a bit extra. May be it's better to make it as a boot option, similar to Adriane?

If you used UNetbootin to create a bootable USB you can edit syslinux.cfg in the USB root to permanently disable Compiz:

default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
menu label Default
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime no3d

buymystock
06-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Knoppix 7.0.5 lets me turn off compiz fusion by going to /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE and delete the "config" file, but I also had to go into the desktop.conf file and edit the "window_manager" under "[Session]" to read as "window_manager=kde" instead of "window_manager=compiz --replace" (all without the quotation marks). I used the "vi" editor to do this. You'll love "vi" when you learn to use it! I also needed to click the logout button and then let it log me back in automatically before the editing that I did would take effect.

chris3dib
06-03-2014, 08:35 AM
You have two options
1. To include the no3d cheatcode in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg -place it in the the line that loads your knoppix - adrian or knoppix or both.

2.Second option is to use openbox instead of compiz and metacity by editing /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf the line window_manager=compiz should be window_manager=openbox-lxde.

I would personally recommend the second option.It gives you a good control over the looks and you get rid of this annoying compiz for good.

Hey, please donīt mind me for stupid questions. But I am a Knoppix newbie.
So how do I change the Desktopconf that I am allowed to change and save it? If I try to change the access rights to "everyone" it says : Operation disallowed.

Thank you

Chris

Werner P. Schulz
06-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Only root is allowed to edit this file.
Use Knoppix menu => Run
Type within this new window
gksu leafpadand you'll get an editor with root-privileges.

knp
07-22-2014, 03:49 PM
good afternoon
This is not a solution but "a new problem". I tried this cheatcode and then got too much problems
on my laptop_Knoppix_DVD_7.2 (1G0 Memory)
AND principaly 7.0 which never boot now because a screen problem: PERMANENTLY!!!! even when after having burnt a new DVD.
I prefer the 7.0 which seems lighter and faster than the 7.2 on MY laptop.
Moreover I observe that the 7.2 (which is good however) is not a so "perfect Multi_Tasks" as the previous versions...on MY laptop
I shoud not recomment this cheat code.and some others
good bye
knp

Werner P. Schulz
07-22-2014, 05:18 PM
I shoud not recomment this cheat code.and some othersThese Cheatcodes (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes) which you doesn't recommend are the official cheatcodes by K Knopper.

Please tell us in detail which problems you've got using "knoppix no3d".

knp
07-23-2014, 02:12 PM
good afternoon.

Indeed this cheatcode is the official one: that is not the problem. I want only give a warning.Surely the cheatcodes cannot resolve all problems depending on the so much different "materials". I precised it concerns essentially my laptop. My problems after "no3D" even after getting new dvd's from a university of the Netherlands are essentially:

1- DVD 7.0 while booting stops systematically anywhere else between the "root@microknoppix:...#" and the "pinguin" with sometimes(only) the message:"cannot read "text". Once I got rid of this by choosing another "desktop cheatcode.But all stopped when trying to choose a "country"

2- Testdvd for 7.0 AND 7.2 stops with the same message "cannot read text".

3- Testing the memory with 7.2 gives bad results by stopping.

Does-it exist an independant program for testing th memory? The old DVD's went very well before "no3D" BUT... and But...:

a- The new 7.2 boots well now (sometimes after some tentatives if not the program used at the first!). IT is not a "BIOS" problem

b- Even the 7.0 boots well WHEN USING an USB drive...which is not so easy if I am on a hurry (even if I prefer 7.0!).

SUSPICION: Perhaps a bad transmission of informations about my INTERNAL DVD drive?

I insist that happened only after "no3D" which I shall never use more on my laptop as long as I do not have a good understanding of the real problem

Thanks knp

--------------------------------
Use double "new line" for new section.

You can use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.

If "noscript" (within Iceweasel/Firefox) is active for http://knoppix.net/forum/ disable it for this website; otherwise you cannot use the format abilities. Do not use Chrome/Chromium!

Werner P. Schulz
07-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Per default the cheatcode "no3d" is off! Nobody forces you to use it. Boot your Knoppix without this cheatcode and be happy.

But it seems one or more parts of your hardware is broken.

knp
07-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks you Mr Schulz. I think almost so perhaps but all goes well a part this "problem"
knp

jc1742
08-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Hmmm ... In my experience, the primary "function" of knoppix is as a tool to quickly boot up a collection of testing and repair software. But I've seen a number of cases where it seemed reasonable to also install it in a machine, typically a server, so that machine also functions as an independent testing station whose CD/DVD drive isn't permanently "unusable" because it's the boot drive.

In any case, I've been trying to figure out what to do with a "latest" 14.04 knoppix CD that I ordered, the 32-bit version for some older hardware being repurposed as servers, but found that it's unusable because it brings up compiz, which totally saturates the CPU, and produces a 10-20-sec delay after typing a key or clicking a mouse button before anything happens on the screen. It's unusable for its primary function as a quick-boot CD for test/repair jobs.

Now the puzzle is how to correctly order a "latest" CD that is actually usable. It's turning out to be a bit confusing, following links around, and trying to figure out whether a specific CD actually contains the lightweight, fast version of things like the window manager, etc. I've even stumbled across warnings to stay away from the 14.04 releases, for exactly this sort of reason.

Is there a good discussion of this somewhere, with advice on what CDs/DVDs/USBs/etc/ currently contain the most usable packages right now?

(I do like to order CDs or DVDs, since that gives the packagers a bit of money for their efforts. But I've wasted a few weeks of time trying to discover which ones now contain software that will work on some of our older boxes. One of the useful linux niches is repurposing all the free "cast-off" boxes that no longer run Windows after too many forced upgrades, but work just fine as linux servers. I've helped a number of public-service orgs do this, for example. But releases of linux that defeat this valuable usage with stuff like compiz sorta throw a monkey wrench into the works. ;-)

Harry Kuhman
08-29-2014, 07:11 PM
jc1742:

I too use Live CD including Knoppix mainly as tools. Sometimes for recovering files from a crashed system. Sometimes just as safe and secure browsing tools when I am concerned about exposing my primary system. Sometimes booting very focused network related live discs such as Backtrack. I'm not sure though why one would want to actually install a live disc like Knoppix rather than simply install Debian. I've been using Knoppix long enough to remember the days when a Debian install was painful; one had to record in painful detail a lot of information about their system down to even Interrupt addresses and memory addresses used, start the Debian install and then usually abort it and restart Windows when some setting was asked for that wasn't in extensive notes. Unfortunately I never saw any tool that could record ALL of that stuff automatically before starting a Debian install. When Knoppix came out it certainly proved that a program could determine those things for itself. People complained that if Knoppix could do that why couldn't the Debian installer? They even came up with some crude ways to "install" Knoppix, some of which Klaus even included in the CDs, although he cautioned that they were only intended for special cases such as classroom installs. That was a caution that many frustrated users ignored.

Debian got much better. A Debian install is now cleaner than a Knoppix install and doesn't suffer from the mixture of different versions that frequently causes problems in Knoppix when installing and updating. Of course it doesn't suffer from the bloat of a lot of extra packages that will never be used, and you can easily install any package that is included in Knoppix. I would welcome if you could explain to me any reason why you think rational people are still installing Knoppix over Debian, beyond the "mother duck" principle.

As to buying Knoppix discs, as far as I know, all people who offer these discs are or at least should be providing exactly the same software built from the same ISO file. That includes those who advertise here and provide a very small support back to Knoppix.net in return for the advertising. None of that income gets back to Klaus or the people who help him build the releases.

jc1742
08-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the informative reply. It all sounds a bit familiar. ;-) In particular, I've used Knoppix rather than Debian because, in my experience from 5 or so years back, Debian was a time-consuming effort that required multiple passes to install on a "new" machine, while Knoppix could be installed simply once you'd verified that it worked acceptably off the live CD. It didn't get installed often, but it was handy at times, and then missing stuff could be fetched from Debian if needed. I have one machine that's been running as a web server for about 6 years that started off that way. It's time to upgrade it and a few other machines, though, and I discovered by experience that things have changed a bit. I ordered a Knoppix7.2.0 32-bit CD from osdisk.com; it's specs included LXDE as the "desktop", but it actually runs compiz, which uses over 95% of the CPU (plus 5% for Xorg), and has a 5-20-sec delay before the effect of hitting a key or a mouse button is seen on the screen. It's unusable on several of the machines I tried it on.

Maybe I'll give Debian a try. But one question I guess I should look at is exactly which window manager package a distro actually delivers. Some of the fancier new ones might look great on the latest, fastest hardware, but they might not be quite what you want if you're installing it on some of the older hardware (e.g., "cast-off" ex-Windows machines that aren't powerful enough for the latest supported releases of Windows ;-).

Actually, I guess one question I'd have is whether my CD has both LXDE (as advertised) and compiz. I don't really understand what either of those names stands for, whether they might both be running, or how to correctly identify the pieces of either one (except that there's a process named "compiz", which is a clue, but there's nothing spelled "LXDE" that I can see ;-). All I really know is that my meagre experience with running a current Knoppix "live CD" is that on the (older) boxes I've tried it on, its performance is around an order of magnitude too slow to be even minimally usable. And my attempts to investigate have mostly turned up lots of similar problems reported by others.

Harry Kuhman
08-29-2014, 11:15 PM
...but there's nothing spelled "LXDE" that I can see ....
I don't really know the various window managers under Linux as well as I should. But for info on LXDE you can start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE

And you can look at the various Knoppix cheat codes in the desktop section, particularly the desktop= and 3d and no3d options.

One big difference between Knoppix and some other live disc distros like Linux Mint is that some distros release different ISO files for each desktop as well as different ISOs for 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Knoppix packs all of the options that it offers on one DVD. That may be good for easy testing of different start up options, it might be a negative when installing a lot of extra unneeded stuff and trying to maintain the system when upgrading. I really can't take advantage of these cheat codes myself, as my Knoppix system has a broken screen and the external monitor isn't viewable until after Linux boots, so no boot time cheat codes for me.