PDA

View Full Version : 6.2.1 + HP ProBook4510s = WOW!!!!

PattiMichell
05-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Knoppix 6.2.1 x86_64 works INCREDIBLY well on my ProBook!! It even set up the WiFi and 1600x900 display (with hardware accel.) correctly. So I did an install. I'm surprised because I never got that kind of compatability on 6.x with my HP Pavillion 6325us ...

EDIT: I forgot to ask - all the submenus of the system menu are "flat" - no organization beyond the first menu - many distros group submenus according to function - is there a way to import a menu organization from a different distro? I believe KDE has a typical setup: for instance "Games" main menu is further subdivided into "Action," "Arcade," "Board Games," etc... This makes it much easier to navigate the many, many applications and I believe it's a KDE standard...

TIA!!
Patti

krishna.murphy
05-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Knoppix 6.2.1 x86_64 works INCREDIBLY well on my ProBook!! It even set up the WiFi and 1600x900 display (with hardware accel.) correctly. So I did an install. I'm surprised because I never got that kind of compatability on 6.x with my HP Pavillion 6325us ...

EDIT: I forgot to ask - all the submenus of the system menu are "flat" - no organization beyond the first menu - many distros group submenus according to function - is there a way to import a menu organization from a different distro? I believe KDE has a typical setup: for instance "Games" main menu is further subdivided into "Action," "Arcade," "Board Games," etc... This makes it much easier to navigate the many, many applications and I believe it's a KDE standard...

TIA!!
Patti

Glad it's working so well for you! There are some other desktops included without having to import; take a look at what this does when typed in before the big penguin disappears in the initial stage of booting:
knoppix desktop=kdeBe warned that KDE doesn't function anywhere near as fast as the LXDE default desktop. You can get some pretty good tips from the F2 and F3 keypress menus that are available at the beginning of the boot process; there's also a file called knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in KNOPPIX folder on the drive you're using with more details.

Hope that helps!
Krishna :mrgreen:

PattiMichell
05-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks!!
Well, I don't like KDE4 - it seems too "dumb-down" from KDE3, so I'll stick with LXDE I guess. I was hoping for a better organization of the menus. I guess I could do it by hand, right?

krishna.murphy
05-22-2010, 08:37 PM
LXDE is the way to go for me! Maybe it would be worth your time to try fiddling with the menus in LXDE to make them work better for you. If you do, please share your process and results here, so others can benefit, too.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen: