PDA

View Full Version : Boot From USB Error

golf4fun
05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I used Knoppix Live DVD [6.2] to create a bootable 8 Gig USB - Command used "flash-knoppix"

I am able to boot to USB on my laptop and do it with several other distros. The Knoppix USB was set up on an 8 Gig USB that previously booted to a German Mandriva spinoff called MUD for netbooks.

When I try to boot to Knoppix on USB all I see is Boot Error and if I hit any key the laptops grub menu loads and Mandriva boots from the hard drive.

I can boot to the USB by using the Knoppix DVD or CD and the code " knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1" and it runs from the CD.

I need help getting the USB to boot directly so it can be used on other systems without optical drives.

Any help appreciated.

klaus2008
05-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Maybe the error results from syslinux. Did your installation MUD use GRUB as bootloader instead of syslinux? In that case you could try to install GRUB (GRUB4DOS) on the USB device.

golf4fun
05-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Before I try Grub4Dos as a possible solution does the flash-knoppix usually allow the USB to boot without any further alteration of the USB files?

And yes - All the other Linux on USB devices I tried use grub.

golf4fun
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Well - I gave up on flash-knoppix and used Unetbootin and I am now running Knoppix from a working bootable USB drive.

mecho
05-25-2010, 04:38 PM
I think your boot error definitely comes from syslinux. Did you format your usb stick before installing Knoppix ? There might be some boot loader leftovers from your previous install of MUD which are preventing the execution of syslinux. In this case if you format and install again everything should work fine

golf4fun
05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I tried the format [even used Windows to do it] and for some reason the system freezes at the Boot Error message. i would think it might have something to do with the system not detecting USB devices fast enough to see the boot instructions. When I boot to a CD or DVD of Knoppix I can run the system from USB using the code
knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1

krishna.murphy
05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
I tried the format [even used Windows to do it] and for some reason the system freezes at the Boot Error message. i would think it might have something to do with the system not detecting USB devices fast enough to see the boot instructions. When I boot to a CD or DVD of Knoppix I can run the system from USB using the code
knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1I use this mechanism all the time, too. My BIOS apparently detects my flash device as a USB-hd instead, and gets hung when booting it. I don't think there's a newer version that addresses the issue, either; but other (later?) BIOSs boot that device just fine.;)

Oh, well - I'll get it fixed to boot w/o a CD somehow. It sounds like you got yours going, anyway.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

crazywizard
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I also had the same problem until i played with my bios. I had ready set my ibm thinkpad bios to boot from usb and had enabled usb boot devices. But the problem persistted. Only when i went to ports and anabled both my parallel and serial ports did it finally boot.

Capricorny
06-07-2010, 12:12 AM
What is the difference between the syslinux and unetbootin methods? I think this is rather strange, and is it the same with 6.2, 6.2.1 and 6.3? It could be something with the MBR, which I think is not changed by formatting, or some kind of syslinux file corruption. It also points to the need for setting up GRUB routinely on USB devices to boot Knoppix (and anything else).

krishna.murphy
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
In order to boot off the MBR of a USB-flash device, it has to be correctly identified by the BIOS as such, AFAIK. In my own case, this isn't happening because there's a BIOS device identification error. I'm not aware of the difference in booting those two types of devices, but it's clear that without the ability to force correct treatment, it falls to cruder (backup) methods to bypass/activate the GRUB on the flash devices. This is not really satisfactory, because I can't use such a setup to boot another flash install (Puppy/Ubuntu/etc.) automatically.

Capricorny
06-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Sure, there may be identification problems, but in the OP's case here, it seemed to be specific problems with syslinux/Knoppix. In your case, are you unable to boot ANYTHING from the USB ports? In that case, using GRUB on the internal hard disk to boot the USB devices could be a kind of poor man's solution. With Knoppix, I think it could work very well. If you just get the kernel and minirt started, it looks anywhere for the KNOPPIX structure. I remember I did such things some years ago, before USB booting became more predictible.

Bladeforger
06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, I had a similar problem with my computer at the office. It's an old computer, but the bios has several options for USB. No joy. Since I had created the USB yesterday at home using the very good and extensive directions in the wiki here on knoppix.net, I figured that the problem might be the computer. It wasn't a very informative error: boot error. Bah! So I came home and plugged the USB drive into another old computer and reconfigured the bios to boot from USB. It booted up fine, and I'm running off the USB right now using Iceweasel and typing this reply. It really works! In both cases I had picked USB-Zip as the device... there are other choices. The only difference in how I picked was that the office box, where it didn't boot right, had the choices set in the bios as: 1. cdrom 2. USB-Zip 3. hard drive This box, where it works, has the bios boot seq set as: 1. USB-Zip 2. cdrom 3. hard drive I'll try again tomorrow or later this week and see. Maybe that will make a difference. If not, then I'll try different USB ports. At least now I know that the USB drive is, indeed, a bootable USB that works.