PDA

View Full Version : saving settings on floppy disk

tyiooo
06-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi!

When I try to save my configuration on a floppy disk everything is ok (the empty floppy disk is ext2 formatted), all the necessary files have been saved. But when I try to boot with "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get an error message telling me knoppix is that /dev is a directory... I tried several times using myconfig=scan , with different floppy disks but I still can't boot with my settings saved... Why is that?

Thanks a lot for your help!

jBeach
06-09-2003, 08:16 AM
When I try to save my configuration on a floppy disk everything is ok (the empty floppy disk is ext2 formatted), all the necessary files have been saved. But when I try to boot with "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get an error message telling me knoppix is that /dev is a directory... I tried several times using myconfig=scan , with different floppy disks but I still can't boot with my settings saved... Why is that?
I have the exact same problem on Knoppix v3.2-2003-05-20.

I saved the config files on both a DOS and ext2 floppy. Both config files were there, but I always got the "/dev is a directory" error.

I'm downloading V3.2-2003-06-06 as I type this. Maybe that will help. If so, I'll post back...

-jb

tyiooo
06-09-2003, 11:43 AM
I finally installed knoppix on my HD so I don't have this problem anymore :)

But I still want to know why this happened (I'm sure it's for a very simple reason)

jBeach
06-09-2003, 07:53 PM
I finally installed knoppix on my HD so I don't have this problem anymore :)
I'd like to be able to save and restore the configuration files. I would think that's how most people use Knoppix.

I tried Knoppix v3.2-2003-06-06-EN and it also failed to load the saved configuration on my Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. I also tried it on an IBM Thinkpad at work and it failed too.

I used "knoppix myconfig=scan" but have also tried "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" and it fails too. Here are the screen messages from the boot screen.

Checking /mnt/ for Knoppix configuration files...
Filesystem not autodetected, trying to mount /dev/ with AES256 encryption
/dev/ Is a directory
Mount failed, retry? [Y,n]

After that, Knoppix starts to automount the drives. Could the mounting of the flopppy disk be too soon in the process... before the automounter runs?

Thanks for any help

-jb

spazzman
07-07-2003, 04:13 PM
I found on one of the forum threads that the new cheat command is not repeat not "Knoppix myconfig=". The new command is:
"Knoppix floppyconf" This worked fine with the save config utility in KDE.

Hope it works for you!!