PDA

View Full Version : Intergrading old e-mail data?

NeilM
05-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I have icedove and iceweasel setup on the flashdrive now so how can i put my backed up files (.mozilla) with the new setup? I have searched the disk and dont see anyware were the mozilla files are located. Thanks!

krishna.murphy
05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I have icedove and iceweasel setup on the flashdrive now so how can i put my backed up files (.mozilla) with the new setup? I have searched the disk and dont see anyware were the mozilla files are located. Thanks!

I have a .mozilla file (hidden) in my home directory, though it's not used in my case. You can always move it elsewhere if it doesn't work right...

Hope that helps!
Krishna :mrgreen:

krishna.murphy
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
(Edit not allowed): You can use the portability of Knoppix 6.x's persistent store, if you've been using that vintage; simply copy the knoppix-data.* file from the KNOPPIX folder on the old media to the same location on the new one. You'll have ALL your changed stuff - mail, browser settings and history, cookies, even the installed programs and downloads that were stored within the Knoppix file structure.

There's also plain old Import in the various applications.

NeilM
05-29-2010, 05:18 PM
This is from a HD install of Debian not KNOPPIX, I tried moving the file into the KNOPPIX folders but no luck :( Thanks!

NeilM
05-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks! I guess have to export all the stuff and import it then. Is the initial boot options in the knoppix-data as well? im assuming any additions or subtractions from the desktop will be in that file.

krishna.murphy
05-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks! I guess have to export all the stuff and import it then. Is the initial boot options in the knoppix-data as well? im assuming any additions or subtractions from the desktop will be in that file.

Yes. Another alternative (to local import) is to use a Google account. There's info on their site about connecting to their servers with IMAP (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695), which would definitely allow you to save messages and then access them from both your old and new client programs, as well as with Gmail when away from your own machines.

Cheers!